Checking the oil

kingcobwidley

Advanced Member
Evening all

After my recent purchase of the dc5, Its about time I checked the oil! Couple of things, locating the oil. There are two pointers on the engine, one circular on the right, and a square on the left (with a oil can on). Which is the one I need to check, and what is the other?

Also, is It good practice to drain and replace the oil rather than just topping up? Ive been advised oil 5w 40 fully synthetic

maxvr6

Advanced Member
You want the square one on the left for checking levels, the level should reach the upper most hole marked on the dip stick. Use the circular cap on the right for topping up, I think its approx 500ml of oil between markers so should give you an idea of how much to top up and avoid over filling.

5W 40 Fully Synth is perfect for these engines, some of them use none and others are oil'aholics, all depends on how they were run in originally I've heard. Top up as much as it needs as often as it needs between oil changes which should be carried out every 5k ish although its personal preference as some people change every 3k miles but that's probably due to hard use on track etc...

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The dipstick is the square shaped one, the other is the fill lid.

I usually check the oil about 15 minutes after it has been ran, so that it runs to the sump better than cold oil, but others may check it cold too.

The engine might burn some oil if you Vtec it a lot, so a top up will be needed between the regular 10-12k mile services. Mine doesn't burn any oil, not even on a trackday so I imagine it just depends on how it was initially ran in. The common oil is Fuchs/ Silkolene Pro S 5W40, about £50 for 5 litres.

kingcobwidley

Advanced Member
I've just checked, there's 2 holes at the bottom of the stick, the oils touching the top 1, I take it that's good to go?

Just out of interest, I notice 2 other caps at the front of the engine bay (by the latch). one says don't open when hot, the 1 on the left is a white. What do these do?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I've just checked, there's 2 holes at the bottom of the stick, the oils touching the top 1, I take it that's good to go?

Just out of interest, I notice 2 other caps at the front of the engine bay (by the latch). one says don't open when hot, the 1 on the left is a white. What do these do?

The one that says "do not open when got" is your radiator cap the white one is the overflow tank (iirc)

There is a blue one in the right which is where the screen wash goes.

Hope this helps

Gordon

dotty

Advanced Member
That's the radiator and coolant overlow tank. Top dot is good for the oil. Check weekly.

kingcobwidley

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the help guys.

I appreciate these questions were pretty basic, i've only had bangers up to this point so didn't care enough to check oil/water etc.

Maybe i'm just being a over protective parent, I even think twice where I park it lol

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Most of us park in the furthest spot in the car park over two spaces, you're not alone ;)

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
I actually happen to check today for the first time in a year :xaiweb6: but i'm happy to report it has used almost no oil, so i topped it up to the max dot and carried on :D

nellly

Advanced Member
you sound like you don't know a lot about cars. It may be worth getting a mate or just some one who knows what's under the bonnet to give you a quick overview of the fluids and things to keep an eye on.

AlanS

Advanced Member
I always check it when the car is up to temperature.

The honda owners manual say warm the car up and switch engine off and wait 3 minutes before checking oil level.

dotty

Advanced Member
Have checked when stone cold since 2003 :)

Well you've been doing it wrong then for 10 years ;)

It's the way I've always done it, it's what they taught us in the military with land rovers and other vehicles. Not one of them has ever gone bang on me either :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've always checked mine from cold and I've never had a single problem with oil consumption and my old man's a mechanic.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
dotty said:
It's the way I've always done it, it's what they taught us in the military with land rovers and other vehicles. Not one of them has ever gone bang on me either :)
it doesnt matter who taught who what, nobodys dad or instructor are Honda.

while that may be ok for a landy and other military vehicles, for a DC5 (as clearly stated in the manual) it should be checked when warm.

so folks, the answer is to check the oil when warm. ;)

dotty

Advanced Member
I'm sure many check when warm, and many when cold. I'll continue to do it as I always do, I actually did it this morning and it's reading all good :)

bennn

Advanced Member
The reading is going to be lower down on the stick when cold than when warm as the oil expands when warm (although not by much).

IMO its perfectly safe to check it when cold as although its not as accurate its a worst case.

I just check mine every time I fill up with fuel. I'll go in and pay, then check the oil when I get back to the car, this way it gets checked every 300 miles or so when the oil is warm and all in the sump.