Choke

Project

Advanced Member
GUys, looking for some ideas as to what the problem could be.
I was driving today very slow only at about 4,000 rpm max, did a left turn and the car started to choke when I slowing put the throttle on, straight line was fine and smooth, right turns were nice and smooth, but left turns the car started to choke and wouldnt let me drive through the bend.
I only had an oil change last week, so I didnt think it could be that, but I still went ahead and put a little bit more in, I then plugged in my mugen ecu and went for a little spin to see if it was oem ecu, but it still choked on left bends. I then floored it in a straight line and it then choked at about 7,000 rpm in a straight line.
I have no idea as to what the problem could be, maybe the timing is out but I cant see how as it just happened randomly about 1hour ago.
Thanks in advance

mikegsi

Staff member
i had a similar problem which started off minor and ended up with the car off the road for a while, the fuel pump had come off its mounts on the filter and was floating in the tank, sucking in air rather than fuel, easily fixed mind

ausR

Advanced Member
hrm this sounds very similar to what my car does simetimes.
predominately on corners, but sometimes when using large throttle opening from lowish rpms.

had it to honda and they did some diagnostics on it but couldnt find it. but not sure if they looked at the fuel filter at all.

be interested to know the outcome.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
milano_chris said:
Either fuel or oil related. Don't know where the fuel pump is sorry.
In the tank under the rear bench
I knew it would be something obvious like that, but didn't want to say anything just in case I'd be wrong and look like a fool :lol:

Project

Advanced Member
Well ive been doing some more research on it and its doubtfull that its the fuel pump as it is as you said inside the fuel tank. The problem though is now getting worse and is now effecting right turns and straight line, i cant even really go over 60mph without feeling some sort of lag. kinda sure that its not the fuel pump, im sure its not the oil as i had that done last week. Im stumped, so i guess ive got to bite the bullet and give it to cash swallowers Honda to look at :(

dotty

Advanced Member
What oil went in last week mate?

I had a similair problem on my Ep3 once upon a time and it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. Where did you fill up recently?

Project

Advanced Member
I get free oil from my work, i believe its 5-30 mobil oil.
a clogged fuel filter, ok where is that located?
I put half a tank of optimax in and the problem started with that fuel, but i topped up today with tesco 99ron to see if it could be that but still no change

dotty

Advanced Member
The filter is located inside the tank mate.

It sounds like it could be that...

Project

Advanced Member
Ok mate thanks, i'll have to drop it of at Honda for them to check it, just hope its something small like that and honda dont turn round and pull their 2 page list of problems
Thanks

jay82

Advanced Member
the tank is easy to drop off. i had to do it a few months ago to dump diesel out of the fucker (long story, just always fill your car up yourself) i was about a hour or more taking it off cause there was 38 litres in it and didn't want to spill any.

jay82

Advanced Member
don't hold me to it, but it was at the front of the tank. i remember washing it out just can't think. ill be under her again on monday and i'll take a good look then. i'll drop then tank if the petrols low

Project

Advanced Member
Well ive been all in my fuel today trying to sort this out and removed the fuel pump from inside the tank.
And its not pumping enough fuel to the injectors, there were some broken bits in there aswell.
Called RAC to come as I couldnt get the car to start and he said the same thing as he disconneted the pipe that goes to the fuel rail and the fuel was just dribbling out instead of flying out.
So now the car can't move, but at least I know what the problem is.
Do you guys by chance know if the EP3 fuel pump is the same as the DC5 fuel pump.
Thanks alot guys for the help :xnworthy: