Civic Type R FK2 - Test drive

ash_dc5

Hi all,

Yesterday I test drove the new civic type R at my local Honda dealership and I have to say I was very impressed! The car is a 65 plate in Polished Metal (Grey) and a GT model - with only 28 miles on the clock!

So boring paperwork bit out of the way, we finally get to the car... opened the door and you get that new car smell, everything looks mint and a very nice place to be! The salesmen drove initially, so into the passenger seat I get, I'm not a small person, 6ft 3 and 19+ stone (I do train 6 days a week so no fat b4stard comments please lol), the seats are very nice, slightly wider than the recaro's in the DC5 and the side bolsters aren't as high, but still very supportive/comfortable.

First off the salesmen talks through all the different toys/gadgets in the car, I loved the keyless entry/start/stop and the different display options and the touch screen multimedia interface was also pretty cool! A couple of minutes later we head out of the dealership and towards the nearest dual carriageway, the salesmen gives it the beans and the boost felt decent, hit the 7k mark in no time at all and I'm already grinning like a cheshire cat :D

I've not been in/driven a boosted car for a little while now, so was loving the wastegate chatter, spooling noise and surge of torque! It was kind of weird not hearing a boom of noise from the traditional vtec, but I thought the engine/exhaust sounded nice, only a little bit louder than my 5 with a Kakimoto catback! The engine doesn't sound the best just before you change up though, almost moaning at you to change up rather than lapping up the revs!

So after a few miles we pullover and it's my turn to drive, the seating position is completely different to the 5, the dash feels high and long and I had to put the seat all the way back and adjusted the steering position to suit. I also noticed how minimal the rear visibility is out of the rear windscreen (it looks tiny compared to the big windscreen of the 5). Honda have thought of that though, so when you put it in reverse a camera comes up on the 7" screen so you can see what's going on behind you (nice one Honda)!

Pulling out of the layby a BMW Z4 comes hooning up behind me, let him past as I didn't want to pay a 5k excess for damages on the test drive! Then we're on our way... getting used to the gear lever being up high was a bit weird and I almost think that the seat could do with lowering a bit, my knees were almost hitting the bottom of the steering wheel!

Driving up the A road I'm just cruising initially... the car feels big and wide and I'm kinda cautious about the 5k excess... but then I get a chance to boot it... dropped it down to 3rd (would be 2nd in the teg) and foot flat to the floor - there is a tiny bit of lag and then it pulls like a train! Lights flashing at me to change up and the speedo showing that I was already doing more than the speed limit so I backed off... salesmen didn't even blink an eye lid (he had just been doing silly speeds himself).

Then it's back to normal driving through the next town, gave it the odd boot just to hear the spool and chatter of the turbo (I know, such a child :) ) and he can tell that I'm loving it so lets me go the long way back to the dealership! I also tried R+ mode on the way back and I have to say although it's stiff I don't think it's any harsher than my 5 (on Bilstein coilovers)... the turbo noise is louder, the dials light up red and you can feel the throttle response sharpen up - I told the guy it wasn't going back to "normal" mode and as he was shaking away he didn't seem impressed lol

Back to the dealership and I was sad to get out (my mind is already made up), the teggy looks decent in the carpark even for its age and I know I'll be sad to see it go...

Comparing the teggy to the fk2 I can say that the steering and handling is better in the teg (although I didn't thrash it around the corners in the fk2)... I deffo prefer the hydraulic steering over electic, hands down! But that said straight line speed the fk2 is faster even though my 5 is 230bhp and a lot lighter you can tell the fk2 has potential and I'll certainly be looking at tuning it once I get it (well after a year or so... maybe :) ).

I told the dealership I want a grey fk2 in GT spec and if he'd offer me any deals on the demo car, it only has 44 miles on it and it also comes with the 5 year service plan... they said I could have it for just shy of 30k and I put a holding deposit down (£500) - expect to see a for sale thread from me soon!

Thanks for reading and sorry for the essay :)

Ash

DC5RS

DC5
Nice read. Grey looks good! 30k is not a small amount but hey you are buying a new car hence the price. Overall I still prefer the look of the 5 :) even better once with mugen lips with a nice set of rims. Let us updated if you buying it :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Smart mate and a good review. Wasn't a fan of them at first but liking them a bit more now, grey is the best colour for them too. Would still rather have an Exige for the money you're paying but each to their own.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ash_dc5

Thanks for the feedback chaps, I don't normally write massive essays but wanted to share the experience as best I could!

Gonna start a for sale thread soon for the teggy... not even had it a year! :(

Kev.W

Advanced Member
Great read! I do really like them in that colour too...

I was tempted to go for a test drive when they became available but I dare not with me only recently getting my teg

mikeyw85

Looks nice in grey, although I don't like the wheels. maybe just needs some spacers or something.

I drove one a few weeks ago. I had similar feelings. One thing that was especially noticeable, and unexpected, was how civilized it was during low speed driving. When you're just meandering around slowly through town etc, it's pretty comfortable. I thought something so quick round the ring etc would be intolerable, but its not. More comfy than the Teg in that regard definitely.

sheeraz19823

Advanced Member
How did you find the road/wind noise?
Mate test drive one and said the noise from the A pillars was quite loud?

ash_dc5

sheeraz19823 said:
How did you find the road/wind noise?
Mate test drive one and said the noise from the A pillars was quite loud?
Found it a lot quieter than the teg dude - when you're cruising around it's comfortable and not too stiff/harsh which is nice :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Test drove an FK8 after work today. Really liked it I have to say. Firstly it was in Sonic Grey which is a beautiful colour.

Once in the drivers seat it reminded me very much of the Integra but felt newer and much stiffer but more comfortable, rigid if that makes sense.

The seats are superb and extremely comfortable. Very much like our Recaros but more comfortable and softer down the sides.

Once moving it felt very nice. That front end is incredibly well planted, a lot tighter than the Teg and it just doesn't move around at all. You can tell there is tonnes of grip there. I put my foot down a few times and it pulls like an NA car but quicker, there's very little if any lag at all and it revs keenly for a Turbo. You can still tell it's a VTEC but also very much that it's a Type R.

The steering for me was the most impressive bit, it's so well weighted and so balanced, even in comfort mode. In R mode you can really feel the difference between the other two settings. The brakes are superb too.

Only negatives are that the inside is a little busy and the handrest is too chunky and gets in the way. Although the gear change is nice, it's ultra short and feels a tad notchy but that could be as it's a reasonably new car. Very very impressed with it I have to say.

Contemplating selling mine once I get a house and might go for one but it's a lot of money for a Honda. It literally needs no modifying imo, it's that good out of the box.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
I'd be sick every time I looked out my window. Looks like a Chavs wet dream to me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Admittedly the looks are a bit wild but they really suit the FK8 up close. It's a chunky car but it's hyper aggressive looking. I wasn't a fan of it at first but it's really grown on me. You should take one for a test drive, I think you'll change your mind. It's actually a very grown up car once inside, it's got loads of mod cons such as wireless charging, safety sensors etc which you can always turn off but I do like it.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I'd be sick every time I looked out my window. Looks like a Chavs wet dream to me.

100% mate lol, FK2 was better but none do it for me at all, driven both and not really a fan, they are also both known to have some issues with the engines and boxes from what I heard at TGM once, cant recall what they were but a fellow ex DC5 owner also sold up, bought an FK2 and sold that and said he'd not do that move again if he was in the same position.

FK2 far better looking car but still not raw enough and for the money there are far better cars imo.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
100% mate lol, FK2 was better but none do it for me at all, driven both and not really a fan, they are also both known to have some issues with the engines and boxes from what I heard at TGM once, cant recall what they were but a fellow ex DC5 owner also sold up, bought an FK2 and sold that and said he'd not do that move again if he was in the same position.

FK2 far better looking car but still not raw enough and for the money there are far better cars imo.
From what I've read, the FK8 is a far superior car to the FK2.

I actually posted about the engine issues on the FK8 Facebook page and no one has mentioned about any engine problems of real note, there were a few issues with people mapping them incorrectly beyond their normal power but this was down to owner issues and not the cars themselves.

I know what you're saying that they're not raw enough but I think when pushed to their limit, they'll actually be a very exciting car to drive. In the short period I pushed it it felt so planted and had so much pace and it was still pulling.

Still think the M135/M140 sounds better but I can see what all the fuss is about now having been in one. Dan Morley (Coyote) says you can really push the FK8 and it comes into its own.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:

I'd put the FK2 in the same bracket looks wise. Not quite as bad, but still God awful.

The Type R owerners forum has loads of complaints and I regularly see them on FB from various feeds.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
From what I've read, the FK8 is a far superior car to the FK2.

I actually posted about the engine issues on the FK8 Facebook page and no one has mentioned about any engine problems of real note, there were a few issues with people mapping them incorrectly beyond their normal power but this was down to owner issues and not the cars themselves.

I know what you're saying that they're not raw enough but I think when pushed to their limit, they'll actually be a very exciting car to drive. In the short period I pushed it it felt so planted and had so much pace and it was still pulling.

Still think the M135/M140 sounds better but I can see what all the fuss is about now having been in one. Dan Morley (Coyote) says you can really push the FK8 and it comes into its own.
No idea what the issues are as never owned one but tracked the one I was in at brands and wasn't that impressed tbh. It was more imo like an EVO, point and go (not really having to work for it and to get faster). It's like most cars these days, anyone car drive them hard and fast as it's a fats car, whereas older cars (drivers cars) you have to be a driver and work for any gains and better laps.

So many car's I would have over the FK8 and FK2 tbh for the money, it's at the end of the day a civic (with horrendous looks), on the road better but on track less rewarding

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I'd put the FK2 in the same bracket looks wise. Not quite as bad, but still God awful.

The Type R owerners forum has loads of complaints and I regularly see them on FB from various feeds.

I am with you on that, the FK2 is better but still fugly lol, personally for the money I wouldn't own either unless it was to be a road only car and STOCK, but then for the money again as a road car there are better things out there with better looks that don't make you look like a chav lol

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Hmm the looks are matter of opinion. Most new hot hatches look a little chav. Even the A45 amg has a massive wing.

From my experience the FK2/ FK8 is like a modern day teg with a lot of comforts that you wouldn't normally expect. Its like any other civic in comfort mode and comes alive in R mode. The steering becomes heavy like the teg. I still think the front end wonders a little being fwd with an lsd. That having done my test drive on country roads.

For the money you could get a Golf R, Megan RS, e92 M3, evo's, impreza's etc.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
What cars are you thinking guys that are better for similar money?
As per the above post from Reggie

For the money you could get any of those or even the AMG A45 (looks far nicer), Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (Looks and Drives imo much better having experienced on both on the road and track) or various other things :)

Reggie is right most things do have a slight chav look now, but I personally think nearly every car mentioned so far looks far better than both the FK civic's lol.