Civic Type R with a difference.

hsvgtsuk

Just been surfing and have stumbled across this....

http://www.mugen-power.com/street/CIVIC ... index.html

Yes this is the Mugen version, but still.

Now I know I'm in to my Honda's at the moment (and feeling slightly frustrated because my ITR is still a month away from arriving), but this looks a lot more interesting than the "Euro" version we get. Echo's Accord Type R.

rayray

im not too sure about the japanese new type r, whether its mugen or just oem. it looks te same as the Honda hybrid thats available in he UK now! howver, the looks will probably grow on me

hsvgtsuk

Just read an artical in the letters column in Evo on this exact subject. A guy from Eire was also singing the cars praises.

I do concede that it is not Integra in the looks department.

I'm not too worried about the looks (although they do play a part in my purchasing decisions), its more what its got underneath...... hydraulic power steering - not electric, decent power, great suspension set up, feel and feed back. This appears from what I've read to have it all!!

I get the feeling there will be one or two magazines doing articles on this car in the next couple of weeks, especially after the disapointment of the new Euro CTR.

Livvy

Advanced Member
That looks class with the Mugen kit, but then i think it looks great in standard form.

If it was available here in dealers or as import, i would buy one this very minute. 8) Much better then the rubbish they are trying to sell us over here!

Jayk

Advanced Member
awesome car, dont know how they have made it 50% more rigid than the DC5, and it only weights 1215kg, with 17" brembo brakes, 222bhp and 158lb ft of torque,

when i need 4 doors i know what i will want to import!

robert_raw

I asked my local honda dealer and he didn't believe me that this car actually existed. Saying that, he hadn't heard of a DC5 and he had worked for Honda for 20 years.

spo_gen

Advanced Member
Jayk said:
awesome car, dont know how they have made it 50% more rigid than the DC5, and it only weights 1215kg, with 17" brembo brakes, 222bhp and 158lb ft of torque,

when i need 4 doors i know what i will want to import!
It uses 320mm front discs (12''/13'').

fast_eddie

Ok I am asking to flamed here but: why cant HONDA import one of these to the UK.... I know its the same scenario as the DC5 but a little explanation would be well received! :xcross:

hsvgtsuk

Just found the standard version. This is worth a look.....

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/tasteof/button/

In reply to fast-eddie, think the official line is.......

All cars sold in Europe have to have type approval, which costs the manufacturer a fortune. I once asked a senior guy in Fords why the aniversary Fiesta Zetec-S, still only had a poxy 99bhp engine when it would be a much better idea to give it their 115bhp lump, espcially if it was just a special ed. Even an existing car that has a major modification has to be type approved.

I am sure they would say the sales of such a model would be "limited" as it is a saloon and not a hatch. It would interfer with the "more popular" model... blah, blah, blah.

To be honest it is all down to politics and economics. The only way that the likes of you and I are going to get one is to bring one in ourselves.

robert_raw

I also suspect it would seriously damage the sale of the euro type r, and the UK needs all the car manufacturing it needs since the demise of rover

Duncs

i have just spent some time in Thailand, and they have the Civic 4 door but no Type R, but seen a Mugen kitted car with 18/19 alloys it looked fantastic but its a BIG car. i reckon it is about the same size as our Accord.
i will post some pictures later but for some reason they are a bit shakey.

jackson

We get that civic in australia but not the type r the best we get is a sport model with a 2 litre ivtec engine producing 114 kW @ 6200 rpm & 188 Nm @ 4200 rpm.

nothing to exciting...wish we had beter petrol over here as we get the type r dc5 but not as tuned as the JDM one because of our petrol being an issue.

Project

Advanced Member
tbh though if i was going to import a 4 door myself i dont think it would be the new ctr i would rather go for the Euro R 8)
If Honda are gonna make a decent 4 door Civic Type R then its gonna have to be near the same size as the Accord or they might as well not bother