Cleaning up wind deflectors

Benneh

Advanced Member
I think with the type of plastic they're made from, no matter how much you try and clean them up they will go back cloudy quite quickly again. I was planning on replacing my old ones with brand new, but before I do I might try a few different plastic cleaners to see how they clean up and if it lasts!

Erm

Advanced Member
I'd imagine a wet sand then compounding with a machine and a microfiber cutting pad then finishing off with a machine polish with a very fine polish and foam pad and then coating with layers of sealant and wax would be the only way to try IMO

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
I've used meguires ultimate compound and a da polisher, then a couple laters of wax and they last a while. But the cloudiness does come back over time :(

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
civicjordan281 said:
I've used meguires ultimate compound and a da polisher, then a couple laters of wax and they last a while. But the cloudiness does come back over time :(
I have both the compound and a polisher so will give it a go. I don't mind having to do it again now and then as this is quite a simple method. I will give it a go.

Erm

Advanced Member
TARA J said:
I have both the compound and a polisher so will give it a go. I don't mind having to do it again now and then as this is quite a simple method. I will give it a go.
You'll need to use a fine polish AFTER compounding to refine the finish. Compounding only will leave a haze as its not designed to finish.

watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwklO7NDvI from 4 mins in to get a microscopic view of what compounding will leave it looking like. Thats why it will haze/cloud up again, because it was never smooth to begin with if you only compounded.

Liam

Advanced Member
I vastly improved mine with a DA and some spot pads. Went as far down as a compounding pad and worked my way up to a finishing pad.

Worked well - no degrading so far!

Jones_XD

Advanced Member
my mate detailed my DC5 two days ago ready for japfest, all he used was autoglym super resin polished and they came up like new :) he said if they we were worse he'd of used the meguiars plastx, thats what used for doing headlights etc would work a treat :xgrin:

Brophy

Advanced Member
As a short term fix (max 2weeks) the Meg's Ultimate Compound works well.

Although to sort it properly do have to wetsand back and then use a DA/Rotary polisher to refine back.

Brockstar89 done mine at least a year ago now and still nice and clear

dk123

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
or you could buy a genuine brand new oem set i have :xgrin:
Hey Dave,

Are you selling a set? If you are then I'd be mega keen to buy them from you - if I've read your post wrong just ignore me haha :xgrin:

Cheers

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
I've tried cutting compounds and Mequiars PlastX, T Cut and all sorts. No matter what, they will go cloudy again. Just have to repeat the treatment every now and again.

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
Yeah I think il just give them a go over again every time I detail the car which is about once a month for a full detail. I decided to try he meguires headlight restoration kit on my deflectors and it actually worked quite well for now