Clearance for sound proofing in doors - Solved

JezW

Advanced Member
I know there aren't many people on here that would add sound proofing to their cars, but it can actually be done quite well without adding much weight.

If you have a good soundsystem, it's definitely something that you want to consider due to rattles and sound loss through the doors.

I pulled the door card off the passenger side and stuck a load of blue tack on the inner skin. I then put the door card back on (did this several times moving the blue tack) and measured any blue tack that had been compressed. At a minimum it looks like there is 10-11mm clearance between the inner door skin and the door card. This area can be seen in the second photo and is located near the speaker.

Princey4

Advanced Member
when you say clearance for sound proofing solved how do you mean? just with sound proofing being the material it is its designed to be compressed against the outer edge of the door card in effect sealing the door<br /><br />im not being negative here I am just intrigued as to sound proof properly the factory membrane would be removed and replaced with sound proofing(dynamat, skinz etc) again filling all holes making the speaker believe its in a sealed enclosure<br /><br />ben

Princey4

Advanced Member
you forget stu I do this all day every day, you should see the audio in my fd2!

dc5ian

Advanced Member
JezW said:
I know there aren't many people on here that would add sound proofing to their cars, but it can actually be done quite well without adding much weight.

If you have a good soundsystem, it's definitely something that you want to consider due to rattles and sound loss through the doors.

I pulled the door card off the passenger side and stuck a load of blue tack on the inner skin. I then put the door card back on (did this several times moving the blue tack) and measured any blue tack that had been compressed. At a minimum it looks like there is 10-11mm clearance between the inner door skin and the door card. This area can be seen in the second photo and is located near the speaker.

your side skirts are dirty :xtsk: :xyes:

JezW

Advanced Member
Princey4 said:
when you say clearance for sound proofing solved how do you mean? just with sound proofing being the material it is its designed to be compressed against the outer edge of the door card in effect sealing the door<br /><br />im not being negative here I am just intrigued as to sound proof properly the factory membrane would be removed and replaced with sound proofing(dynamat, skinz etc) again filling all holes making the speaker believe its in a sealed enclosure<br /><br />ben
Hi princey,

To effectively sound proof a car there are 3 layers of material required (but not necessarily on every surface). The first is called is a "constrained layer damper" (CLD) and is to absorb vibrations and stop panels rattling. These materials are generally 2mm thicknes.

The second layer is a foam layer, people generally use closed cell foam since it does not absorb water. This absorbs some of the high frequencies and decouples the CLD form the final layer of material. The foam is very light and the thicker the better. It's usually available in 3mm or 6mm or larger thicknesses

The final layer is a "mass loaded vinyl" which is usually rubber sheets and is supposed to block noise and reflect some noise back into the foam for further absorption. This is about as close as you can get to MLV in the UK (much easier to get in the US). This is generally 2mm thicknes.

http://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product/sound_deadening_material_2kg

So with my first and third layer set at 4mm total, I was working out whether I could only fit a 3mm layer of foam, or perhaps a 6mm layer.

For a more detailed read of all of this..http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
dotty said:
Teg is the wrong car to be sound proofing anyway !

#shouldhaveboughtabeemer
I drive 30 miles a day, and some of the roads are really rough. I can barely hear the radio unless it's on full, which is not good for my ears!

#hatesbmwandaudidrivers
dc5ian said:
your side skirts are dirty :xtsk: :xyes:
It's only 2 weeks since i cleaned it..with the current weather it may have to be weekly. Planned to do it tomorrow though don't worry :p