Clicking after service? (possibly valve clearances?)

tristanpalmer

Advanced Member
Hey Guys,

Last weekend I changed the oil and filter (Hamp Short filter + Milners Nandodrive 5w40), some fresh 2500s, and also changed the gearbox oil to Motul 300LS as it's got a spoon plated diff.
I've driven the car all week, and it's been completely fine... Did a long run of around 250 miles yesterday, again, completely fine.

Just driven to the office this morning, and have suddenly developed a clicking noise, that sounds like it could be something in the engine internals.

Car has been spot on previously, and looked after since I had in 3 months or so ago, and believe it was maintained well previously.
Before this morning, it was little tappety, but nothing major for a Honda IMO.

The clicking seems to be acceleration related, as in, at cruising speed the click disappears more or less, if you begin to accelerate (not hard), it increases in volume.
It can be heard if you rev when you rev at standstill, but definitely not as loud, and it probably wouldn't concern me at that volume.

The car is on around 100k, and I'm not sure when the valve clearances were last done, so these need to be done anyway.
But it seems strange that it's just started, without any build up, after a service.. I'm wondering if the shorter filter might be causing the issue, as I believe it alters oil pressure somewhat?
Car hasn't, and isn't burning oil at all since I've had it... Though it does run a bit rich as it's not running a cat and isn't mapped yet.
It's also still engaging VTEC with no issues, and doesn't feel down on power/restricted etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

tristanpalmer

Advanced Member
Alexander0628 said:
Doesn't the chain need to be done at 100k bud?
Was under the impression they were a lifetime item, and are only ever done for piece of mind...
But you could well be right.

dave7368

Advanced Member
there's no official service schedule/change interval from Honda for the timing chain..

though that's not helping your noise much..

tristanpalmer

Advanced Member
Ah ok, thanks for clarifying...

I've just had another poke around and found a large crack and a tiny hole that looks like it's just started on the DC sports header where it joins the main gasket on the block on the port closest to the timing chain, which I'm thinking is what could be causing the clicking? Certainly sounds like it's coming from that area.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Yeah bud I was just thinking out loud, I'm sure iv Hurd of owners changing their chains at 100k tho, a search on this fourm will should let you know tho.

My k20 has a noticeable tapping noise but it's just the injectors and is normal....or so they say. But you can't hear it inside the car.

If your not sure when the valves was last adjusted I would defo get that looked into bud, and while the cover is off take a look at the chain.

Rom

Advanced Member
As above, manifolds are notorious for making odd sounds like you describe.

Ref the chain. They are not due at a set schedule . They are lifetime units.
Unless it has stretched, you have no need to change it.
Honda make arguably the most reliable high performance NA engines. If there were a danger, or need of the chains being done. They would include it in the schedule. They pride themselves on being so reliable. Risking chains snapping is not in their ethos.

But, that said, DC5 owners like to spend money for the sale of it. The same way many change oil every 3 or 6 months. Despite the oil they use being capable of running for much much longer without ever breaking down.

MrRy

Advanced Member
The chains do tend to stretch over time. Mines on 52k now but I'll be looking at changing it within the year.

Buy regarding the actual problem I would say the manifold as well.

Rom

Advanced Member
Think for the rsx, it's checked at 300k km. So I'd imagine ours is the same.

Over revving, and shifting down to wrong gear are killers for chains.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I went to Tgm to get my chain done due to a tick....my car has clocked over 130k, and when Tom inspected it, he commented on how tight it still was, and it was well within tolerance from factory. Potentially good for another 50-100k more. The tick I had turned out to be my VTC cam gear, which required taking the chain off anyway, so I had new put back on. check my build thread for pictures :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
MrRy said:
The chains do tend to stretch over time. Mines on 52k now but I'll be looking at changing it within the year.

Buy regarding the actual problem I would say the manifold as well.
unless theres something wrong with it its a waste of time and money on a 52k car

donzooo

Advanced Member
Is the tick only on very light throttle? I have the same noise but it's cause no harm within the 10k I've driven it. I know the engines are loud, noisy injectors etc so haven't bothered.

Garage commented that it was completely fine too.

tristanpalmer

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the help guys.

99% sure it's the manifold issue mentioned above as there's a tiny hole that the gasses are escaping through in the crack – Will keep the thread posted though once the manifold is sorted.

MrRy

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
unless theres something wrong with it its a waste of time and money on a 52k car
Possibly, though I have seen a few sub 100k chains with 1cm to 2cm of additional "stretch" from the pins wearing, but what this does to the timing overall I couldn't say, but would speak with a few experts before spending a few hundred quid on the parts to get it done.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
C and S is one of the experts. Lol. Not a dig, just saying he has had his fair share shall we say. But id have to agree, unless its had a very very hard 52k and poorly serviced I doubt it would need it tbh.