Clunking noise at full lock!....

silverdevill

Advanced Member
Ok peeps....had the teg for a few months now and have come up against my first obstacle...... :-k
when i turn the car full lock at low speed, for instance when i'm parking, i get a clunking noise, (more so from the right than the left)...now at first i was thinking cv joints, or something to do with the steering rack, then i got the wife to turn the steering wheel from full lock to full lock while the bonnet was up and with the engine running and i'm sure i could hear the noise coming from inside the rocker cover!....maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me, or just me not being able to track down exactly where the sound was coming from (hmmm, just had an idea whilst typing this...engine mounts?..i'm just guessing here now). any help massively appreciated... :xcheers:

brucey87

Advanced Member
is your car lowered? i have the same problem only since i lowered it on tein coilovers, but i dont know what it is? iv had local mechanics look at it but couldnt find a fault.

mines been clunking for a year and a half now but iv had no real issues. i thought it could be a few things like steering rack or tie rod ends but suppose il never know until it clunks one day and something gives. il let you know :lol:

silverdevill

Advanced Member
yeah its lowered by a fair bit on bilstein coilovers with bestex springs.......and newly installed buddy club RCA's... :D

brucey87

Advanced Member
some lowered tegs clunk and some dont but dont worry your not the only one. since i raised it 5mm all round though it stopped doing it so much. maybe we have them too low?

i was thinking about getting those RCA's a few months ago. any good? does the car feel any different?

silverdevill

Advanced Member
With regards to the RCA's.....i would'nt say they transform how the car feels, but there is a noticeable difference to the way the car turns in,its just much more predictable with a lot less body roll and slightly less bump steer...all in all, for a relatively cheap mod i'd recommend them. It's funny though that my symptoms as described above have only really started since i installed them!....coincidence maybe?.... :?

kangzy

Same here mate.. got my eibach coilovers fitted at TGM on sat and they clunk.

Going back to tom to get them checked out

silverdevill

Advanced Member
Kangzy.. let me know what they say mate, i'd be very interested...if you would'nt mind that is.. :xcheers:

brucey87

Advanced Member
Bit of a thread revival here, but i am still getting this clunking and seems to be getting worse. I know im not the only one getting this issue so has anyone actualy solved it yet?

I have tein superstreet coilovers, tgm inverted tie rod ends, polybush lca bushes, buddyclub rca's and have checked that everything is tight etc. All mods mentioned apart from coilovers are less than a year old so nothing worn yet. The only thing i haven't tried to correct steering arm angle with (which i thought was the cause of the clunk at first) is the tegiwa correction bracket but i never bothered as i thought the inverted tie rod ends do the same job? Dont know what else to try?

Stoo

Whining.....
A clunk like that is probably spring seat or top mount related.

Take the top mounts off and grease them

It could also be a cv joint, ball joint, track rod end, rack itself etc.

Just because things are new(ish) doesn't mean they are in good condition.

brucey87

Advanced Member
Haven't actualy had coilovers off and checked them out so might try that but springs are seated correctly and even tried shaking them to see if anything was knocking but they are good. Im pretty sure its comming from the tie rod end/ball joint area. Its only when slow reverse parking really and worse when doing it on a hill. Its both sides clunking so dont think its diff related.

Would it hurt to use the relocation braket aswell as inverted tie rod ends? As the steering arms are still on a bit of an angle.

brucey87

Advanced Member
Ball joints, lca bushes and tie rod ends were all badly worn when changed so thought it would solve it but its no different lol.

Stoo

Whining.....
I'd personally raise it to a decent height lol.

When you say the coil overs are ok and springs seated on... Have you just had a look under the arch or actually had the strut out to check?

brucey87

Advanced Member
Its not overly low though and raised it a bit more when i put 18's on to make sure it doesn't rub. Had wheels off to check coilovers out but will have to take them off and get them checked out anyway. Just doesn't seem or sound to be coilover related tbh but would be good to tick them off the check list. Be nice if it was. Hard to explain but i keep getting drawn to the steering arm/rack that is the issue.