Clunking on left-turn but not full lock - ideas?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Still haven't diagnosed the clunking I get when I turn the steering wheel a fair way left. Symptoms are as follows:

• [*:2zzazbh2]Clunking that sounds a bit like the sound of brake pads moving in the calipers when you set off, except it only happens when turning the wheel left close (but not completely) to full lock and only if the car is moving (backwards or forwards)
    [*:2zzazbh2]It can be felt in the steering wheel and there are often two clunks in quick succession as the wheel is turned left
    [*:2zzazbh2]I've had the wheels in the air and the clunk does not happen
    [*:2zzazbh2]I've driven the car in circles on full lock with no clunking
    [*:2zzazbh2]Only happens turning left, not right (although it can happen as the wheel is turned back towards centre after being turned left)

I'll be taking it to a garage, as I can't work out if it's the spring in the damper cup (don't think so), a CV joint, the bearing in the damper top mount, the steering rack or something else! It kind of has symptoms of all, but not quite right for any...

Any ideas to help speed up the diagnosis :?:

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
I had a similar problem to this a while back. Turned out to be the springs on my coilovers jumping in their seats. The seats were full of grit and grime. Cleaned the seats thoroughly and made sure the springs were free to twist and this solved the problem.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Spoon progressives in OEM dampers. That was my first thought, but they were only put on the car a couple of days before I first noticed the noise and hence were cleaned and well greased too.

I'll have another look, but I would have thought that if it was that sort of issue, I would hear the noise turning both directions.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
not always if just 1 spring is not quite seated 100% correctly, there is a good chance it will knock .
I have seen this more with Spoon springs than any other type for some reason.
the springs seem to be made in a different way to the eibaches, in that if you were to sit an uncompressed spoon and an eibach next to one another the spoon spring is shorter, when the suspension is at full droop, it is possible the spoon springs can move a little.

you should not grease the actual spring on the platform or the spring where it fits in the upper cup as this can help it move, as the damper itself moves during use the spring must move with it.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Mine only did it in one direction. As C&S said, make sure they are clean and seated correctly. Doubt very much it's any bigger problem than this :wink:

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Cheers guys, will give it another look when I have time and the weather is good!

Haven't looked at the top cup, just the bottom seat. Saw the other posts about indexing etc., fingers crossed it's just that!

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Right, OK, I tried following the "spring indexing" procedure, which consisted of loosening the strut nut (i.e. the one centre of the damper as it pokes through the strut tower), jacking up the car and rotating the spring around until it rotates no more. This meant pushing the spring left (towards the front of the car), as turning right it kept going, but left it quickly hit a "stop".

Was that the correct procedure? I'm kind of hoping not, because I still have the noise! :(

hsvgtsuk

I've got a similar problem with mine and that is on standard springs and dampers.

I've checked it out and I've had two garages check it out and they can't identify the problem. When going over speed humps or pot holes does the suspension clonk as well?

I will be watching this thread with interest!

Telf

I think its a problem from factory. Mine does it BUT seems to be when turning right/uneven road. My car is a 2005 with 10k on it and is standard...

mrc

I also get this when turning left with a fair bit of lock on eg. pulling out of a parking space. Don't notice anything during normal driving tho, so doesn't really bother me..
Sounds like it's a fairly common problem.
(I've got eibach fast road set-up)

rick c

Advanced Member
I get an occasional 'clunk' while driving slowly and its driving me bananas. I don't think its even related to steering, I can get it while driving in a fairly straight line as well. Its always when cold though i.e. first thing in the morning. Never after its warmed up.

Taken it into honda and they said they can't find any problems. Car only had about 10k miles when I first noticed it so I wouldn't have thought its wear.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
rick c said:
I get an occasional 'clunk' while driving slowly and its driving me bananas. I don't think its even related to steering, I can get it while driving in a fairly straight line as well. Its always when cold though i.e. first thing in the morning. Never after its warmed up.
Taken it into honda and they said they can't find any problems. Car only had about 10k miles when I first noticed it so I wouldn't have thought its wear.
Ya i notice a bit of a clunking noise when the engine is cold and i let off the gas, not sure if its worn engine mounts, maybe the bushing in them expands as the engine heats up? :xconfused: