Clunking when turning after fitting Eibach springs

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Just thought I'd pop a quick post up as I've encountered a bit of an issue after installing some eibach springs.

The car clunks when turning tight low speed corners, initially I thought this was the n/s outer CV joint and have ordered a blue print part, however it seems that the noise is quite a dull clunk rather than the usual cv joint clicking noise and is present when turning the wheel lock to lock with the vehicle at a stand still.

Could this be the top mounts at all? Mine looked to be in good condition with the exception of a bit of paint rubbing away where the plastic bearing contacts the strut top.

I cleaned the bearings up an applied silicone grease and they seemed buttery smooth when refitting.

Car is due an MOT in a few weeks so looking to get this sorted ASAP.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Which eibach springs were they ?

Spoon springs are known for creating a clunk as the coils bind together but I've never had it with the eibach sets. They usually have a plastic sleeve over a few of the coils to help stop this I thought, could be wrong

The sleeve may be in the wrong place, is it doing it when turning left and right ?

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
They're the pro kit.

I don't think it's an issue with the springs as such as the noise is their when turning at low speed and static but I know what you mean when the coils clash, rubber sleeving on the eibachs covers pretty much half the spring too so very generous.

I'd almost convinced myself it was a CV joint until I steered the car lock to lock whilst parked on the drive and it still made the noise. Wouldn't imagine that would be the case if it was a CV joint and the noise is more of a dull clunk.

I'm stumped at the moment....

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Top mount and top hat on the spring probably isn't seated correctly mate. When they were fitted the top hat as it were, has a certain way to go on, if its not on properly it fouls on the strut tower housing and over small bumps and turns it fouls.

Or the spring doesn't have the bottom coill sleeved on the fronts...so its metal on metal. Not on about in between the coils, but around the very bottom coil where it sits on the shock absorber itself.

Or finally as it was all apart, a track rod could be damaged, or hasn't been done up tight enough when re installing causing your noise

:) doubt its CV.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Cheers Jimmer,

I clocked the silver stickers on the top mounts that were facing inover towards the track rod connections and fitted them back in the same orientation.

Track rod ends are OEM and only have 3k miles on them so they shouldn't be an issue, all bolts are also torqued as per the manual so quite confident everything is tight too.

Strange that the car didn't show the syptoms for around 60 miles or so.

I fitted the eibachs as per the OEM springs with the tighter (sleeved) coils towards the top and unsleeved coils at the bottom. No guidance from eibach so I guess this is the correct orientation.

Suppose it's just a case of stripping it back out when I get chance and making sure everything is as should be, I'll re-lube the top mounts and double check the orientation and that they're all seated correctly too, the car is at Grinspeed for a week soon for quite a bit of work so hope to have it sorted by then or my bill will be getting even bigger 🙈

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
If all the sleeves are at the top, your issues at the bottom where the coil sits on the strut itself. Jack the car up, compress the spring, and put one of the sleeves on the bottom coil and see how you go. :)

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
If all the sleeves are at the top, your issues at the bottom where the coil sits on the strut itself. Jack the car up, compress the spring, and put one of the sleeves on the bottom coil and see how you go. :)
Will let you know how I go, will more than likely remove the sleeves from the top of the standard springs and install them at the bottom of the eibachs and see how that works out.

Could be that the bottom coil of the eibachs are somehow rubbing away on the struts when turning, but would more expect that to be a top mount sticking issue.

Thanks for the pointers 🙂

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Could be the rotation bearing in the top mount sticking too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Cheers John, cleaned and re lubed these with silicon grease so would have hoped they'd be fine, grease may not have been suitable though so will try something else this time round 🙂

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Car hasn't made the noise again today since jacking it up to do a visual last night which is odd, will see if it returns over the next few days as I have a set of ball joint dust covers to replace which are in the post from Cox.

Bloody cars 😫

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Ha. On an ep3 o didn't want to spend money on I totally drenched them in PTFE grease. Noise went, but only for a couple of weeks :(

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk