Cluster issue

jay.dee

Advanced Member
My speedo and revs dials aren't working. Did the gauge diag test, both the fuel & temps rise and fall, but the previously mentioned two don't budge. Also the odometer shows all zeros (000000). No eml, or other malfunctions. The RSX manual states to replace the cluster if the test fails - but some here have had issues with the mph converter.

So is the diag test completely definitive? Or should I still replace the converter? Just finished looking at it, it seemed to be well wrapped in leccy tape, not to say it's actually functioning properly.

Mark_teg

Staff member
If the wiring is wrapped in levy tape, unwrap it and see what's going on.

The convertor won't have an affect on the cluster test.

D

deleted profile

I had this issue with my old ek9 the board on the back of my cluster gave up and fried a few transistors and capacators, luckily enough my dad is a genius with electric stuff and was able to fix it. Your issue sounds very similar

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Try the converter first anyway rather than a new cluster. Take the converter out and just connect the original wiring (back to kph) and see what happens. When the converter goes wrong its those dials are the ones that go wrong!! I had issues with my converter before so I binned it

jay.dee

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
If the wiring is wrapped in levy tape, unwrap it and see what's going on.

The convertor won't have an affect on the cluster test.
I did get as far as unwrapping it, and look at one of the soldered joints - looked ok - it's what I feared about the test though.

TyperItr said:
Try the converter first anyway rather than a new cluster. Take the converter out and just connect the original wiring (back to kph) and see what happens. When the converter goes wrong its those dials are the ones that go wrong!! I had issues with my converter before so I binned it
Didn't want to pay myself overtime past 5pm today - may get the solder iron out tomorrow. Although seen some clocks on the Bay so might have them.

jay.dee

Advanced Member
For future reference, unplugging and reconnecting didn't reset things either - fresh set of clocks resolved the issue.

jay.dee

Advanced Member
Gets better - an electronics engineer fixed the old clocks - found that one of the wires on a chip had come away from the board and there were signs of overheating around that area, possibly from a short circuit of some kind. The chap soldered the leg of this chip back on, also had to 'reflash' the board, it's now alive...

So for future reference #2 they can be sorted by a sparky who is really clued up.

Just have to find now why I've got a 1100 rpm idle after me moving the airbox to look at the kph converter, and putting a crack into the cover while trying to undo the bolts.... prob pulling extra air through it... and daft old me trying to silicone seal it temporarily until I could get a new box, lets hope the sealant hasn't fouled the IACV, always fun cleaning that.... aargh #-o