Clutch & Flywheel - Master Cylinder Upgrade

Fvil

Hey Guys

Looking for some advice and clarity

My clutch needs changing soon, and as alway I dont like doing things simple.

Gonna be installing a light weight flywheel, atm I m looking at an Exedy 1 piece at about 4kg. I know Fidanza do the lightest at 3.6kg. But I dont want to have any problems (with the 2 piece), as this is my daily.

I cant decide on an OEM or Stage one clutch. My civic has stage one and fidanza light fly, that was my daily for years. I ll decide closer at the time I guess. I want to keep my 5 as comfy as I can lol.

Main question is this CMC. I had a quick research, and the EM2 is an upgrade to have. Can anyone else confirm this? Any reviews on this change?

New slave and braided line at the same time.

Thanks

Fez

Advanced Member
I fitted a fidanza 2 piece flywheel to my ex's del sol, did 30k on it, the removed it and fitted it to her ek9, which did another 15-20k no problems.

Unless big power, i'd stay oem clutch.

Cmc, someone asked this few weeks back, it is an upgrade but you do need a spacer to fit it.

Fvil

Yea I heard they fail due to miss use... over heating ect. I dont think theres anything wrong with the one in my civic either.

I am leaning towards Oem. Only reason I would want a stage one, is so it grabs quicker.

Not researched the CMC on here yet.

SiR1097

I changed the CMC on mine to accommodate an ACT 6 pad clutch with HD plate. My CMC didn't go bad yet but from what I read it usually fails cause of the additional pressure from the heavy clutch, as well as it makes it a bit more difficult to quick shift at high rpm cause of the triangular damper thingy on it. I bought a CMC from the 2001-2005 ES model Civics that bolted right up, no issues. So far it's working fine.

Brand is TRW and the p/n is PNB498. Got it off the UK ebay and had it shipped across to the US then to me.

Fvil

Seem like there are 2 different CMC used for the 01-05 civic.

I m guessing the one people are having issues with must be PNB497- 46920-S5A-G05, you can quite clearly see the difference.

I managed to source the TRW PNB498 within UK. Should get this Monday.

PNB498 - 46920-S5A-J03

PNB497- 46920-S5A-G05

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
TGM use standard clutches on their race cars.

If you're insistent on changing then get a Competition Clutch stage 2, almost OEM feel but a slightly stronger bite.

Fvil

I ve decidid on OEM Exedy and Fidanza Lightweight Fly.

Got the CMC upgrade. Might install this when I next get a chance.

Still gotta get a braided line (just to tidy up the bay) and Maybe a new slave....Anyone know if the EP3 Slave is the same?

Thanks

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I think it's the release bearings more than anything. There's numerous reports of people with noise using them and/or the clutches.

OEM clutch and release bearing is the best option unless running boost.

Fvil

Exedy dont make the bearings... but the clutch will be OE Spec, not sure who honda got to make their clutch for the K Series

I know Koyo/NTN made bearings for the Bseries, again not sure on the K.

If bearing is the issue, I can always get one from Honda or the OE manufacture.

Dont think the friction or pressure plate would make any noise, unless its faulty.

Fvil

A quick search on Tegiwas website, the bearing looks to be a "Nachi" and looks like they are a Japanese Bearing manufacuture.

Wether if that is a generic photo or something I dont know...

Genuine clutch from them is not actually that expensive tbh. But again dont know its its direct from Honda or the Manufacture :/

I will have a look and see what brand the bearing is from an Exedy clutch kit

Fvil

Did some research, for those who are interested. Heres an Exedy Clutch kit.

It shows the Nacho Bearing, and Daikin Stamp clutch (not in photo).

Heres a photo off eBay, claiming to be a Genuine Honda Clutch, stamped with Daikin.

Ebay link

I think the Exedy kit should be fine. I ve also decided to that and the Fidanza. Hopefully this will last for the time that it will be with me.

Lewis.mac

Advanced Member
Im using genuine oem clutch kit on my dc5,
Cars running around 320bhp and the clutch is perfect and takes the abuse just fine, even launchs with no issues at all.
When i fitted the clutch i weighted the oem flywheel and they are lightweight from new, around 4.4kg so stuck with it. Best choice ive made