Clutch Gremlins

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so I've been battling clutch issues for some time now so this is a final reach out to all on forum including traders to help. It all started well over 12 months ago when I started to get lock out when attempting to shift at high RPM. I started to work through the possible causes with fluid changes, bleeding and even cylinder and line swap outs. Now somewhere along the changes the symptoms changed from high RPM lock out to a low biting point. My peddle is set to maximum thrust on the adjustment and my bite never gets higher than half way at the best of time. In trying to troubleshoot this I've had the release arm replaced in case it was bent and tried extended the slave rod to no real beneficial results.

If the bite remained half way down then I'd have no real issue but this is where it gets strange! The bite starts dropping to the floor the higher the revs to the point if your doing over 6k the clutch isn't operating anymore so you end up clutch less shifting and rev matching. The other variable factor at play seems to be temporatures both in the climate and car engine bay. For example, start car in morning and clutch bite is higher than if I start after a run. The bite point moves down with RPM still but the the idle bite also varies with temps. Equally if its a cold day like this week as opposed to a couple of weeks back with the heatwave the bite is higher and operates better.

I'm running the Tegiwa RPC stage 2 organic clutch and because I've ruled almost everything else out I'm wondering whether this is the issue. What are peoples thoughts and does anyone know whether a clutch plate itself can swell in heat effectively getting thicker so you need more thrust to release? It's also as if the faster its spinning the centrifugal force makes it thicker too needing more release travel.

I'm lost so any help (including tegiwa if you read this) would be greatly appreciated as I'm loosing the love for my DC5 :(

Fez

Advanced Member
I had similar problems with the old F1 clutches tegiwa used to sell. I hated it, It only lasted 4,000 miles and had to be changed. If i sat in traffic for a little while, when i pulled off the clutch used to slip like mad until it cooled down.

I've seen a fair few times on facebook people having problems with these, swap it out with an oem one, or an act/CC etc if you need the extra bite for more power.

Col R

Read over this last night and thought better of replying as there are so many variables and you probably know better than me.

I thought about it again earlier and thought well if you've ruled everything else out why dont you just go back to OEM. Worth a shot if your losing the love.

Hope you get to the bottom of it...

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
So today I noticed something which is pointing more to be a mechanical issue inside the clutch mechanism now and almost ruling out hydraulic issues. If I sit at stand still and bring revs up whilst pumping the clutch I can feel the clamping load against the pressure plate up to about 6k RPM and then over that point it goes completely almost as if the release bearing is no longer making contact with the plate fingers at all. It's as if something is moving away from the release arm and bearing as the revs build. I've don't countless things to address this release issue so its looking almost certainly to be a clutch defect and full replacement.

If Tegiwa see this post then I'd appreciate a comment on whether an issue has been found with RPC Stage 2 organic clutches of this nature so we can work something out.

Col R

@ Tegiwa, I've had parts from you in the past and found you to be decent enough. That said, it wasn't parts manufactured by yourselves...

An honest response would be most welcome :xhappy: