Clutch Problem?

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
Last night i was heading towards West Wales on a 2hr trip and about halfway through journey got stuck in a long tailback.

We were crawling at around 5mph for about 45mins when eventually it freed up. i was travelling in 4th around 4k rpm and to overtake dropped to 3rd. This was fine but when i changed easily to 4th it wouldnt go in properly at all.

Slowed down and tried all the gears and every single one was struggling to get in. Then i noticed that the clutch pedal was very depressed compared to normal and their seemed to be no resistance at all in it. I carried on in 4th for a while and noticed it get a lot better until after about 5-10mins it was fine again.

Im assuming that the traffic and hot weather could have caused the clutch problems but was wondering whether this is ok for a 28k mile clutch? and if it is a known thingk, what can be done to stop it happening again? anything i need to check as for rest of journey car was fine.

thanks

James

Suped

Advanced Member
sounds like you may have / in the process of knackering your clutch. Timely investment for an Exedy clutch! hehe

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
i hope the clutch isnt on its way out :shock:

Why would it correct itself though? i would have thought if there problems then it would continue to be a problem not disappear :?

Ive had no problems at all with it apart from this instance - whats worth checking around the clutch slave cylinder? anything noticeable etc? where is it located exactly?

thanks

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
update - checked clutch fluid and thats all fine - filled right to max

bit baffling as clutch and car working fine today

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
have you got mats? its quite common the pedal gets stuck on the mat. giving you an intermittent fault.

If you are holding the car on the clutch in traffic for ages it can get warm, it is possible its on its way out. is it slipping at all or just not engaging fullt to allow gear selection.?

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
definately wasnt the mats getting in the way

I have had no problems whatsoever with clutch before that 10 min period after being in the traffic.

I just dont fully understand how the clutch works to explain how it can go like that but then be fine after it cools down and with no apparent loss of fluids :?

gregb

Advanced Member
sounds exactly as the slave cylinder going.
when it went in my old car it was similar out of the blue no clutch,no pressure.
it was easy and cheap to replace.
hope that`s all you have gone.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
greg

did it stay gone? as in was it like that permanently?

As mine is fine now and has been since.

How cheap is cheap if it is that :?: :lol:

gregb

Advanced Member
Almost like when you change your brake pads and press the pedal first,nothing then it bites.
i got a second hand one for the dc2 @€50.
clearly visible on the dc2,harder to see on the dc5.
look down were the clutch spring mechanism is at front of the gearbox it`s there.
there is like a bleed nipple on the side of it.
sorry don`t know much more than that.
you might be lucky.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
so once yours went was it persistantly causing problems or was it intermittent? as mine is still fine since and completed the 2hr return journey with no problems whatsoever.

dor

Hi Jimmy, It sounds like your clutch fluid was boiling creating air in the system between the master and slave cylinders. This could be caused by riding the clutch or extreme hot weather but I've never heard of that in this country. Try replacing the fluid. The system is pretty much sealed, if you have a loose pedal and it gets worse you have a leak. Leaks can be seen.
A simple test to check for wear on the plate or cover. Pull hand brake on a good way, engage 1st gear and slowly remove foot off clutch pedal as you apply revs. If you can take your foot all the way off clutch pedal without car stalling and staying stationary (clutch slip) you need a new clutch assembly.
Any probs give me a call next time your around.
Dorian

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
dor

thanks for the info

I plan to change the clutch fluid - do you recommend any performance stuff to use? also is there a guide on how to change the clutch fluid?

I tried the clutch test and it stalled as it should so i dont think its an assembly problem

Cheers

James

mikegsi

Staff member
i would stick with honda's own mate, its proven to be the better transmission fluid so the clutch stuff should be just as good?