clutch question and a messed up speedo

sydney

Advanced Member
ok guys. my dc5 is running 366hp and i like the odd drag day. Ive been using the stock clutch for a year now, no slipping infact no problems at all. But i was going to use slicks for the next drag event and so i thought itd be better to change the clutch to a stronger one. So i went and bought a excedy stage 2 paddle clutch and also purchased a new release bearing from honda when it was getting it done. Heres my problems.

1: I got the car back and immediately noticed it noiser, when i put the clutch in, noise goes away, let the clutch out and the noise is noticeable. Very noticeable to me though. The guys installed it ordered the relase bearing and i payed them but ive yet to see a honda receipt for this. They said my old one was well used and would show it to me but yet to see it.

2: when i drive off the clutch is noisy, like how a evo would sound, that rattle whining sound. Its hard to describe.

3: when im in 6th at low revs, the noise is shocking, soo so loud! its like tin cans inside my gearbox, like the casing wasnt fastened properly etc 6th gear is the worst. When im driving, take my foot off the throttle, you can hear it whining down.

4: when i rev in any gear hitting high revs the speedo starts doiing circles round the speedo then returns to normal under normal casual driving.

I contacted paul west and he said to ask them to check heat shields and the clutch shouldnt sound like that etc I know they can be a noisey whilst engaging though. So i asked the guys that fitted it and they said thats just how its going to sound but i really am starting to crack up now with this noise and the speedo has just topped it off. The guys said its probably the speedo converto shorting out "as they just go" but i think its just a bluff off that as the car has never give me a single bother until this clutch went in. Ive only payed for the release bearing but as off yet i havent payed them for the clutch installment.

Anyone shine some sort off light on this for me?

donkeykong

Advanced Member
ok guys. my dc5 is running 366hp and i like the odd drag day. Ive been using the stock clutch for a year now, no slipping infact no problems at all. But i was going to use slicks for the next drag event and so i thought itd be better to change the clutch to a stronger one. So i went and bought a excedy stage 2 paddle clutch and also purchased a new release bearing from honda when it was getting it done. Heres my problems.

1: I got the car back and immediately noticed it noiser, when i put the clutch in, noise goes away, let the clutch out and the noise is noticeable. Very noticeable to me though. The guys installed it ordered the relase bearing and i payed them but ive yet to see a honda receipt for this. They said my old one was well used and would show it to me but yet to see it.

2: when i drive off the clutch is noisy, like how a evo would sound, that rattle whining sound. Its hard to describe.

3: when im in 6th at low revs, the noise is shocking, soo so loud! its like tin cans inside my gearbox, like the casing wasnt fastened properly etc 6th gear is the worst. When im driving, take my foot off the throttle, you can hear it whining down.

4: when i rev in any gear hitting high revs the speedo starts doiing circles round the speedo then returns to normal under normal casual driving.

I contacted paul west and he said to ask them to check heat shields and the clutch shouldnt sound like that etc I know they can be a noisey whilst engaging though. So i asked the guys that fitted it and they said thats just how its going to sound but i really am starting to crack up now with this noise and the speedo has just topped it off. The guys said its probably the speedo converto shorting out "as they just go" but i think its just a bluff off that as the car has never give me a single bother until this clutch went in. Ive only payed for the release bearing but as off yet i havent payed them for the clutch installment.

Anyone shine some sort off light on this for me?

alli can confirm is that with my stage one clutch (CC) i have number 2 also, for the rest non of these symptons.
the bearing which comes with the exedy one is not as good as oem, make sure u have a oem one!

Jammygit

Advanced Member
I have experienced the problem with the speedo going mad at high revs and it was a loose wire on the speedo converter.

It's possible that whilst fitting the clutch yours has been disturbed and a wire has come loose.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yep speedo convertor wiring will have been removed to get the box out, a wire or connection will be the problem. ask for the exedy bearing(should be supplied with the clutch) and your old one. if they cant and they cant produce a receipt from honda then they have prob charged you and not supplied