Clutch Slipping :( Some Q's..

Mark_teg

Staff member
Well after 82k miles it seems the time has come to replace my clutch. Great timing just before Christmas!

It's very early stages at the moment, slips around 3k RPM if I provoke it. Obviously its not going to get any better but I have a few questions to the people who've been in the same situation.

Firstly, (and I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" type of question) how long have I got? Last night I was hoping for Jan/Feb time, now I'm not so sure..
Will it give up on me gradually or just die and leave me stranded?? Obviously I want to avoid the latter!

I've already decided that it'll be an OEM clutch to be fitted and TGM will do the work (provided i can get it there). How much notice do they normally require? I'm currently a TGM virgin and curious of all the hype :lol:
I'll probably ring them on Monday.. There's a few other things I'll probably have done the same time.

I know TGM supply Honda parts so thats something I dont have to worry about, but any further advice much appreciated :)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
If its just slip it wont die instantly, if you provoke, it will wear quicker of course. Unlike mechanical failure on clutches it won't just leave you stranded! Best getting it done asap though.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'm trying to remember how long I drove mine slipping and although I can't remember exactly I'm pretty sure it was at least a month. I found that providing I accelerated normally it wouldn't slip. As soon as you start dabbing the accelerator a little further down that's when it would slip. Pulling away from lights etc was still all fine in mine but I think towards the end it would get more difficult not making it slip when accelerating from stand still and that's you final warning sign that there isn't much left I'd say.

Long journeys don't tend to be a problem if its mostly motorway miles. Like I say I think mine was getting close to the end but it did the trip to TGM fine.

Only thing I can say about TGM is what I've already told you really which is that Tom gives an absolutely class service. All the guys are friendly and helpful and he's very thorough in the work he does. He can order the OEM clutch in for you at circa £160. I'd make sure he has a flywheel in stock (just to be on the safe side) and ask him about any other parts he might need to check are in stock should you come across anything else halfway through the job.

We came across 2 or 3 things when he did mine, lucky for me he held a good stock of spares!

You'll be amazed how much smoother the new clutch will feel when it goes in! xthumbup

dotty

Advanced Member
You're looking at around £350 fitted at TGM (OEM Honda clutch)

Are your gears notchy in vtec ?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Cheers gents.
Dotty - I'm not sure, too scared to use vtec now :(
It slips at 3k so vtec will be pointless..

dotty

Advanced Member
Cheers gents.
Dotty - I'm not sure, too scared to use vtec now :(
It slips at 3k so vtec will be pointless..
The symptoms I experienced were a difficulty engaging gears in vtec. It didn't really slip as such.

I'd look to get it changed soon if its slipping.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Get it done ASAP Mark. The difference is phenomenal!! Is the clutch pedal heavy? That's how Tom knew mine was on its way out. Another 1k miles and I would have been in the same situation as Dave! OEM FTW!

Bonito

Advanced Member
Could probably adjust it for the meantime so it engages sooner while lifting the pedal? When I bought mine the owner told me it needed a new clutch as it was slipping. I've had her out on track a couple times and I can't get it to slip so I dunno what he was doing. :D Other than a very small rubbing sound when it's in neutral and my foot is off the clutch, it's fine.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Adjusting is a good suggestion actually!
However, most DC5s have had their clutch changed before they've covered 82k so I've had my moneys worth! Dont fancy pushing the clutch to its absolute limit either and it failing completely.

Adam - I havent noticed it to feel heavy, or any change in feel. But when I drove Dave's a few months ago (with new clutch) I could feel mine was heavier and not a very smooth stroke, so I knew it wouldnt be long..

Bonito

Advanced Member
I've 90,000 on mine so far. Due a change in the new year me thinks. I do love a new clutch, makes the car feel brand new! Maybe while you're getting yours changed it'd be worth having the flywheel skimmed and balanced too.

Mark_teg

Staff member
I've 90,000 on mine so far. Due a change in the new year me thinks. I do love a new clutch, makes the car feel brand new! Maybe while you're getting yours changed it'd be worth having the flywheel skimmed and balanced too.
I'll see what it looks like. I have a few other jobs to be done while the gearbox is out, so as long as the flywheel is in good condition its low on my list of priorities tbh.

If I were you, I'd start saving so you have the funds to do all the jobs at the same time, when/before it starts to fail.