Clutch system help needed

Tim_85

Hi fellas, :xwavey:

In desperate need of some help if possible. My friend was telling me about some trouble he was having with his clutch on his S2000. I know the DC5 forum is an odd place to put this but i presume the mechanisms will be similar.

The Problem
The pedal started to feel very loose and had a lot of play in it. The first half of the travel in the clutch pedal had no resistance behind it at all as if the hydraulic fluid was not being compressed. He managed to get it home where we discovered the master cylinder had a small leak in it. The fluid in the reservoir was also a little low so we presumed the seal in the master cylinder had gone and changed the whole unit. After filling and bleeding the system the problem is exactly the same ](*,) . The clutch ‘seperating arm’ only moves after the travel has been taken up and there is resistance in the pedal. With my relatively limited knowledge the only other things I can see it being are either the clutch release (slave) cylinder or a massive air bubble in the system somewhere. Before we go out and buy a new release cylinder I thought I would see if anyone else had any other ideas. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tim
:xking:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
It is very similar in operation to the dc5 clutch,
it is possible since it was leaking air has got into the system and is not being bled out, it is also possible there is a problem with the clutch itself;
have you asked on the s2ki forum?

if you are located near fleet pop it in to TGM who i'm sure will be able to do a quick diagnosis for you.

Tim_85

Thanks for the help mate.
Unfortuately because the clutch is constantly closed (not enough pressure to seperate clutch plates enough) we cant really move the car long distances because we cant change gear (without rev-matching every gear and even then we have to turn it off at traffic lights and start it in first) so we cant really get it to a garage.
I think we are going to take the whole clutch hydraulic system off tonight and test it before we start taking the gearbox off. What on the clutch itself could be causing it to not separate?
Thanks again for the help.