Cog slippage noise/feeling when light clutch and turning

moody_mage

So I have a bit of an odd issue and would appreciate any advice on next best course of action.
  • Whenever I am feathering the clutch and turning either left or right I get a terrible grinding sound which sounds and feels exactly like some cogs are slipping, usually this when I start moving again at a roundabout or any turn where I needed to stop or slow right down. This happens in most gears I have tried.
  • If I can manage to get around the corner without any clutch at all then there is no sound (say I slowed down and changed into first/second before I needed to turn and went around the corner without any further gear change - or didn't change gear at all)
  • I can go straight and change gears with no sounds at all - it's only when turning. In fact I have been minimising this by coasting around the corner as much as possible, straightening up and then accelerating up to change gears
  • The car is fine when cold, no horrible sounds. As soon as it is driven for a bit then I get the cog slippage when turning noise.
  • Both drive shafts and all joints have been replaced with no effect or change. Mechanic has checked the suspension throughout and all is solid
I'm not sure what to look at next... To my mind it has to be clutch related but it just seems so odd it only happens with both clutch and turning being used. I would really appreciate any advice.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
1st, you should really be in the correct gear for a corner not changing mid corner or declutching. If it is only when turning Id guess it could possibly be diff related?

moody_mage

The place I get it most is on roundabouts or turns when you need to come to a full stop. Starting off in first and turning replicates the issue.

You're the third person who has mentioned the diff to me now. It's looking that that's the next place to look. Thanks!

Chewy

Advanced Member
Have you recently purchased the car?

Any strange clunking/slippage noises when you're doing slow manoeuvres, such as parking etc?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Find a wide open space, turn the wheel to full lock and go round in a circle. If there's a clicking/grinding noise it's CV related.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

moody_mage

Chewy said:
Have you recently purchased the car?

Any strange clunking/slippage noises when you're doing slow manoeuvres, such as parking etc?
It's a recent purchase and yes to the slow manoeuvres, parallel parking in tight spaces is especially bad as there is generally a lot of clutch work whilst turning.

Best guess after talking with various folks is that it likely has an aftermarket LSD which has worn components.

moody_mage

SamDC5 said:
Find a wide open space, turn the wheel to full lock and go round in a circle. If there's a clicking/grinding noise it's CV related.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Thanks for response. It's not that though. Both full driveshafts have been replaced along with all joints. Replacing them changed nothing by even a fraction. Full lock is fine - unless you happen to be moving from nothing with the clutch. As soon as the clutch is fully released the noise vanishes even on full lock.

Chewy

Advanced Member
moody_mage said:
It's a recent purchase and yes to the slow manoeuvres, parallel parking in tight spaces is especially bad as there is generally a lot of clutch work whilst turning.

Best guess after talking with various folks is that it likely has an aftermarket LSD which has worn components.
That's what I was going to suggest, Sound like a aftermarket diff to me. Might be worth throwing up a picture of the car and see if any of the previous owners notice it and could shed some light on it.

Aftermarket diffs (Especially aggressive ones) are known for being clunky, Only way to find out is to either chase previous owners down, or open her up.

moody_mage

It's a fairly recent import and I'm 99% sure the previous owners don't know. I'm going to bite the bullet and get it sorted with an OEM replacement. Whilst at it I'm also going to get the clutch changed and if I can save up enough pennies get the gearbox looked at as well as it's quite notchy at times.