Coilover choice?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
sinbad said:
DC5TU said:
OHLINS?? are they out of budget?
Probably, and from what ive heard about OHLINS they'd be too hard for what im after.
Where abouts are you located mate? You're more then welcome to come in mine, sitting on D2's right now.

sinbad

Advanced Member
Thanks for the offer!

Work near Manchester airport but live near Wigan/preston.

Bit controverial here but I think springs rates rather than the individual damping of different makes of coilover, contribute more to the quality of the ride.

Also, I'd put build quality high on any list of priorities. I had D2s on two previous cars (K20 civic and Nissan S14) and they were great. So I got some for the DC5 but I took one look and thought they are really not up to the quality of the previous models - the main clamp to the hub are just two plates welded onto the leg - and not even welded both sides. The top mounting hole is elongated for some reason meaning that it can easily slip and throw your camber out by about 10 degrees! Anyway, I sent them back and got some HKS Hypermax which were much much better. I'm sure the D2s are fine for every day use, but if you are going to punish them on track, I'd look elsewhere.

celox performance

Advanced Member
I've done at least 5 track days with the D2's with no problems and the camber has never even moved by 0.5 degree never mind 10 degrees :?

sinbad

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
I've got the D2 on too and may live a bit closer to you, i'm on the Wirral if you want to come over?
Hi mate, i dont know where my post went :?

Anyway, Sounds like a plan! im going to speak to my mate tomorrow and i'll get back to you via pm if thats ok.

Cheers,
Chris

So why is that hole elongated? It may not have happened to you, but it is possible - I'd rather not take the risk. So you check your camber settings regularly?

It was Tom at TGM that pointed these issues out to me and only when I put one on I could see exactly what he meant.

celox performance

Advanced Member
I can see why it could happen, i'm just saying that it's never happened to me. Yes I get the car set up regularly due to the amount of track days and road driving I do. After a couple of track days I take the car back to have the camber changed to my liking but it's never really gone out, I just take it back to have the camber/toe adjusted for the type of track i've got planned next.

On the elongated hole if it did slip, it would probably only slip by 1-1.5 degrees as there's not that much adjustment on there and I could only get a maximum of 2 degrees negative on the fronts even pushing the hub bolts all the way in.

Fair enough. I must say the backup you get from Kenny and Danny at D2 is second to none plus they have the equipment to re-gas them to your liking as well :wink:

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Came off a round about a little too quick and the back end went "fook off" after I tried nulling the understeer resulting in me doing a complete 360!

No damage done and thankfully the roads were empty! Getting the camber backed off on Friday though as my current setup is a little "twitchy" in the wet :lol:

sinbad

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
the back end went "fook off"

:xlol:
haha, sounds like youve learned a lesson there lol
At least you didnt hit anything/one. i did that once in a civic vti-s ended up facing backwards up an embankment. The people at the sliproad lights must have had a laugh watching me spin past them and then out of sight. :p

After a few other suspension crunching incidents in the wet when i was younger i try not to push it if its anything more than damp nowadays.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
I have D2's aswell, and from goes in other DC5's and passengers im finding them to not be all that much stiffer than the stock suspension, they crash about a bit on pot holes and speed humps, but there not too bad overall...

I run my damping reasonably stiff now aswell, about 16 clicks front and 24 clicks rear.

Only problem with them as said is the DC5 kit isnt great, one of my struts threads are shot so its not really adjustible anymore, one of the fronts knocks a LOT (squeaks too) and as mentioned the wet weather grip (both cornering and under acceleration) is plain bad.

Im going to change them art some point if i keep the car, get some eibach coilovers i expect.