Coilover ring keeps loosening

wayne_teggy

Advanced Member
Hi all, I'm having some trouble with my bc coilovers. I just cannot seem to get the Preload ring on the front coilovers to stop coming loose.
I only have 2 rings. I always thought it was one Preload ring , one locking ring and one height adjustment ring.
The way I set mine up is Preload the spring then bring the second ring up to lock it . Only thing is There's no ring to lock off the height adjustment. So annoying!
I'm constantly taking off the wheels to lock that second ring back up to the spring.
Any suggestions?
Wayne

sinbad

Advanced Member
Any Pictures?

The rings should be tightened in opposite directions, Id suggest using some loctite but you dont want to seize it completely. Did you buy the suspension new too?

wayne_teggy

Advanced Member
I've done the rings up in opposite directions tight as I can , it does the trick but only for 1 week maximum then you get the clonking coming back. I'l take some pics of the coilovers tonight.
These are 2nd hand units.
I know sometimes the "basic"coilovers do have 2 rings but I can't understand how anyone could set them up properly with only the 2 rings.

madrab

Advanced Member
thread tape wrapped tightly around the thread below the locking ring will stop it moving but its a pikey way of doing things lol

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i would sugest contacting BC. you should be able to tighten the rings sufficiently to stop them coming loose, providing all the threads are in good condition,
there should be 1 ring to lock the height and two which are tightened against each other to adjust the preload.

wayne_teggy

Advanced Member
Seems as though my 3 rings are all missing on all 4 coilovers when I brought them.. Great. Bc br series coilovers HAVE 3 rings not 2

Stoo

Whining.....
Hi Wayne.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having mate.

When I bought the car the coilovers were already on it so I can't comment about how they were when originally supplied.

I know that steven wouldn't have fitted them incorrectly though.

If it's any consolation, they never once Moved or loosened when on my car, and that included several ride height adjustments and geometry set ups.

Stoo

Whining.....
Also, when you had them off me, the rears had 3 rings on.

The fronts had 2.

When you are tightening the ore load ring, are you just winding it up til it touches the spring or actually applying per-load.

From what I've read, you should tighten the ring up til it's against the spring, then tighten it another 5mm or so to apply some preload to the spring by compressing it slightly.

If not, no wonder it's coming loose.

wayne_teggy

Advanced Member
Hi stoo :) thats cool . Yes I'm pre loading the spring just enough for tension.
At the moment in time I've found a friend with some old cuscos so we are going to free the lower rings and chuck them on my bc coilovers.
I will let you know how I get on. Hopefully shall sort it.
It is strange though why you never had any problems with the clunking. I shall be putting them back on this weekend so we will see :)

sinbad

Advanced Member
the rings shouldnt cost much from BC, if you have not luck id definately give them a call.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
ideally you need two rings to preload the spring as they will loosen when you turn if you only have 1. normally you would do up the spring perch ring till it touches then add the preload as recomended by the suspension maker, they all have different ideas on how much.
some types doing this alters the rideheight too.

i would be surprised if the rings from cusco fit the bc dampers . if you contact bc im sure they will be able to help you out.

wayne_teggy

Advanced Member
thanks for everyones help on this, ive got in touch with bc and they sent me some lower coilover rings , only £4.40 each :) ive stripped the coilovers down in the process, cleaned the threads and each individual part and re assembled them for peice of mind