Coilovers Clunking

The Mofo

Advanced Member
I've just fitted Eibach Pro street coilovers and the fronts are clunking when you turn lock to lock. I've had a look nothing is loose and the springs are seated properly, anyone got any ideas?

Stoo

Whining.....
Does it happen on the move/at speed or just when stationary/low speed manoeuvrin?.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Yep its a common problem..I`ve just had my 3rd(!) set of springs fitted to my `Teg and ALL have "clunked" a bit..this will usually clear up after about a month or so unless you can find some cobbled streets to have a spirited drive over!!That deffo works!

gregb

Advanced Member
See if you can spot any marks on the chrome part,they could need to be resealed and rechromed.

Happened the HKS Hypermax i had on my last teg,they drove me nuts when slow speed cornering and parking :xrealangry: .

Is it just one side?

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Did you have to set the pre-load on the spring when you fitted them?

My teins clunked for a start, but only because there wasnt enought compression in the spring, it was moving about.

The Mofo

Advanced Member
Did you have to set the pre-load on the spring when you fitted them?

My teins clunked for a start, but only because there wasnt enought compression in the spring, it was moving about.
They had to be compressed to get them onto the car if that's what you mean? They are brand new so I'd be surprised if they need resealing. There are no wear marks on the tube at all and it does sound like a spring moving noise, I'll put a few more miles on them and see how things go.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Try and get some rubber collars to go around the spring, I did that with my spoon springs and now my noises have gone.

You could see where the coils were touching and just needed the collar to stop the metal to metal rubbing when turning.

MeisterR

What you are getting is coil binding, does the pro-street use the standard top mount?
Your dampers are not turning when you turn the steering wheel, therefore it is causing the springs to bind and "snap" back.. that is what the noise are.

It is a common issue with pillowball top mount, which is why we put a roller bearing spring cap on the Zeta-R coilovers to allow the springs turn freely without making noise.

The standard Top mount should have some type of bearing system to allow the damper to move when you turn the steering wheel.
If it isn't the standard top mount, try getting some grease between the springs and the "perch" and that will allow the springs to turn easier.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
good advice from Meister there. ;)

I notice there is a bit of confusion with the replies, some are replying thinking coilovers are the same as lowered springs, they are NOT at all.

with the lowered springs the spring becomes unseated due to their shorter length and high spring rate, fitting rubber cups etc helps stop the spring from moving.

with coilovers the spring should really move with the leg so as meister says try some grease, there are bearings available that fit under the springs but they are quite expensive.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
so as meister says try some grease, there are bearings available that fit under the springs but they are quite expensive.
The only issue with using grease though is that over time road dirt and grit sticks to it and can cause grateing and clunking in its self, if it was me and these bearings are avalible i would bite the bullet and get them or just turn your music up full chat :xrockout:

MeisterR

The problem is you can't always get bearing that fit under the springs... it depends on the the design of the coilovers.
Actually, i am not even sure if the Eibach use Standard ID springs.
If the do, the springs should be flat on both side and should have a type of isolator to separate the metal surfaces.

We use rubber isolator before, and that cause problem as the rubber is too sticky causing the coil to bind.
We then change to a "Polyamide" material and that was slightly better. As they are quite "hard" you can put white grease on both side of the isolator to help the springs spin.
But really the noise issue didn't go away until we incorporated the roller bearing springs cap. That solve any potential noise issue and will stay quite for a long time.

End of the day, it isn't a HUGE issue as it only happen at low speed.
But none of us want to have a car that make odd noise... but it depends on how the coilovers are designed.
I would ask the dealers of your Eibach on what to do... It may be an common issue and they already have the solution to it.

The Mofo

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the comments. The eibachs use the OEM honda top mounts with a metal ring that sits on top of the spring, this ring then fits over the top mount. I remember when I fitted them part of the top mount was heavily coated in a very thick green grease type substance. The car is due for a service soon so I might just ask the garage to lube them up again.

MeisterR

Check that metal ring and some grease on it won't hurt.
But if that is the case check the OEM Top Mount.
Did you use your old OEM Top Mount? Or did you get new one?

There should be a bearing in the top mount that allows the suspension to spin.
If that bearing wear out and doesn't turn any more, it can give the same effect as what you are seeing now.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Thanks for all the comments. The eibachs use the OEM honda top mounts with a metal ring that sits on top of the spring, this ring then fits over the top mount. I remember when I fitted them part of the top mount was heavily coated in a very thick green grease type substance. The car is due for a service soon so I might just ask the garage to lube them up again.
That green substance is the grease that is in the top mount ring. The oem suspension doesn't incorporate a proper bearing it's just a ring with grease inside it an just relys purely on lubrication when turning, it's a crap idea imo, If It's leaked out then I'd be inclined to get 2 new ones from Honda they are about £25 each. Or try and pack the old ones with new grease.

gregb

Advanced Member
They are brand new so I'd be surprised if they need resealing.
I wasn't aware they were new,they should settle after a while on the car as said it can be a common problem when fitted first.

Or as MeisteR said and added some good tips there,mine drove me nuts in fairness :xrealangry: .

MeisterR

Oh... didn't know Honda cheap out on that.
It is a big issue for me because I had a few cars with "clucking" springs and honestly drive you nut... especially when it is a daily driver.

Hum... if that is the case more grease is the only solution.
It isn't possible to retrofit the MeisterR bearing system for you as they are design to work with a MeisterR Dampers and Top Mount...

Wish i can give more helpful advice but don't look like there are much I can do to help on this.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.