Coilovers help Noob

Matt-DC5

Advanced Member
Need help,
Just bought some coilovers and am a little unsure to what I need aswell to get them fitted and aligned. I believe I just need front camber bolts and rear camber arms. However is it possible to get away with not getting these? Or are they absolutely necessary? Also what are people opinions on rack sliders and rack raisers etc? Are they worth purchasing aswell? And what do they actually do?
Thanks in advance

Kevin85

Advanced Member
What coilovers have you bought?

Camber arms are not necessary, unless you want to dial in more camber than the eccentric bolt on the lower arm will give. What will you be using the car for?

Rack sliders replace worn sliders, inside the rack.

Rack raisers raise the track arms to apparently remove bumpsteer if you're running hella sick lows on the front ride height.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
What coilovers have you bought?

Camber arms are not necessary, unless you want to dial in more camber than the eccentric bolt on the lower arm will give. What will you be using the car for?

Rack sliders replace worn sliders, inside the rack.

Rack raisers raise the track arms to apparently remove bumpsteer if you're running hella sick lows on the front ride height.
Are you confusing rear camber arms with adjustable steering arms?

Matt-DC5 said:
Need help,
Just bought some coilovers and am a little unsure to what I need aswell to get them fitted and aligned. I believe I just need front camber bolts and rear camber arms. However is it possible to get away with not getting these? Or are they absolutely necessary? Also what are people opinions on rack sliders and rack raisers etc? Are they worth purchasing aswell? And what do they actually do?
Thanks in advance
You will need the camber arms and bolts to correct the geometry, rack sliders are worth buying if yours is worn and there are ways of testing this yourself easily. Rack raisers i wouldn't bother with unless you're going more than 35mm lower than stock, but if you are you should also consider roll centre adjusters (extended ball joints) as its not just the steering arms that will be at the wrong angle but also your front lower control arms too.

As above what coilovers have you bought, some will need other extras to make them work such as Meister R...

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I think it would take a special kind of person to confuse rear camber arms with adjustable steering arms. All steering arms are adjustable.

I was confusing rear toe with camber adjustment. The eccentric bolt is for rear toe.

Installing coilovers wont throw the camber out. If you want to dial in more camber than stock, then adjustable components are required.

Front toe will definitely need dialing in if you change your ride height, but this is done with the steering arms which you will already have.

Matt-DC5

Advanced Member
Bought a set of BC racing, car is for fast road and in future occasional track day.
What rear camber arms would you recommend as there are a few to choose from?

Justintian

Advanced Member
Haven't fit coilover and don't know how low you want to go but with my tein lower Spring oem shocker setup (-43mmF, -35mmR) I need rear camber arm to adjust the real wheel in other wise it drives feels and looks stupid.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Close to stock rear ride height is good for handling, it helps reduce understeer. If you alter it too far from stock, the camber will need readjusting.

The BC Racing coilovers should come with adjustable top mounts for the front camber, so you wouldn't need camber bolts.

spooke

Advanced Member
Definitely need rear camber arms at the least, else if you lower it around -20/30mm you will have about -2* camber on the rear..

Personally I'd get a Rack Slider, Rear Camber Arms at minimum. If you want to lower the car more than -35mm then get some RCA's and adjustable tie rods, especially if you want more than -1.5* camber up front.

Justintian

Advanced Member
The front tie rods from oem is too long if you are intend to lower the car a lot, as too long in the tie rods will force the toe in when car is lowered too much. Adjustable tie rod will correct the toe issue.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I have oe tie rods. My front ride height is low, my toe is zero and my camber is currently 2*neg.

All tie rods are adjustable, although I have heard of people needing modified tie rods. They require more thread on the rod, although threading the oe rods is a bad idea.