Coilovers???

DC5R_Duty

Advanced Member
Hi all,

When installing coilovers (eg Tein Super Street) onto a 2002 DC5R.....should the adjusted height be the same on all 4 shocks?

I want to get back to stock suspension geometry or can anyone tell me if the front should be a bit higher or lower than the back?

NB My DC5R currently has on coilovers that are finished.....so seeking new ones or stock suspension....(comfort)

Chris

jasondc55

Advanced Member
It all depends on how you want your car to handle? and what you use your car for?I personally have had 2 dc5s My first had Mugen sports suspension that lowered the whole car but the front did not lower as much as the rear.It was well balanced and set up for the usual and forgiving understeer with added confidence at higher speeds but now have a new dc5 with eibach pro spring and my car is raked forwards (lower at the front ) which has given me a quicker more responsive turn in but a twictchy rear end on the slower bends and roundabouts .

MeisterR

Normally if you are after performance, I will have a little rake at the front (rear is a little bit higher).
Not by much, only 5 - 10mm at most which isn't very visible to the eye.

George K

Advanced Member
The critical thing is to get the ratio of bump to rebound travel right (for optimum handling and traction this is different front and rear) - the ride heights then take care of themselves. Obviously if you can adjust pre-load spearately from ride height, so much the better.

DC5R_Duty

Advanced Member
It all depends on how you want your car to handle? and what you use your car for?I personally have had 2 dc5s My first had Mugen sports suspension that lowered the whole car but the front did not lower as much as the rear.It was well balanced and set up for the usual and forgiving understeer with added confidence at higher speeds but now have a new dc5 with eibach pro spring and my car is raked forwards (lower at the front ) which has given me a quicker more responsive turn in but a twictchy rear end on the slower bends and roundabouts .
I am also thinking about the Mugen Showa suspension....... how are they on bumpy roads.......? I want comfort plus I do not plan to track the car....just spirited street runs and counrty runs.....

DC5R_Duty

Advanced Member
The critical thing is to get the ratio of bump to rebound travel right (for optimum handling and traction this is different front and rear) - the ride heights then take care of themselves. Obviously if you can adjust pre-load spearately from ride height, so much the better.
Can you clarify a bit more..........? For instance is it possible to put on Tein SS coilovers.......set it at the stock OEM DC5R height and set the damping force to stock OEM damping?

if so, what would be that height and damping force (for say 16-way adjustable)?

I just cant get stock suspension to buy anywhere......... (note I am in Jamaica)

peace

DC5R_Duty

Advanced Member
Ok so I got the mugen showa suspension and it ok... car handles much better but it is harsh on bumpy roads......

Can the springs be replaced with softer springs? If so, which ones do you all recommend?