coilovers?

mark10101

hey im new to this website and has probably been asked many times but which coilovers are the best to buy to go super low on a dc5? thanks

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Not going to be a popular question either mate

But search is definitely your friend and to narrow down your search put " in front and at the end of your search

E.g. "Best coilovers"

There's soooooo many to choose from you're best to just do your research!

From my own personal experience

I had YXZ coilovers in and they went about as low as the car would allow without ripping every bod part off and would have went lower if I didn't need those body parts and sump!

£600 delivered ain't a bad price either brand new with 30 point adjustable dampers

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
any coilover will ride rough if the car is slammed, it will also handle terribly, you need suspension travel to absorbe the bumps

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
Firstly, why would want to go so low?

Secondly, it would ruin the handing of the car!

Thirdly, with it being so low, you'd look like a knob!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Welcome to the site Mark. Do you currently own a DC5? Theres lots of considerations to be made when choosing your suspension setup so if you haven't already I'd recommend introducing you and your car in the new members section and we'll take it from there. If you are a new owner there are plenty of things to consider before coilovers :)

mark10101

hey all yes i am a newish owner had it for about 2 months now but before i had her i had a eg6 vti and managed to rack up 6 points and now just managed to get another 3! :(
so yes i know it will wreck the handling and what not but the lower you go the less useable the car will become so no more speeding or points. well thats the idea behind it.
just curious but whats too consider before coilovers?

so any suggestions for best suspension setup and how to go low?

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
mark10101 said:
so yes i know it will wreck the handling and what not but the lower you go the less useable the car will become so no more speeding or points. well thats the idea behind it.
That's the stupidest thing I've read on here EVER!

I know your new, but that kind of attitude to purposely compromise a DC5's suspension so that's its unusable and make you go slower is utterly ridiculous and poorly thought out.

If you've got 9 points would it not be worth, I don't know, slowing down? I know we all get excited when driving but it seems you've not learnt your lesson. Why not buy something less aggressive and perhaps you might retain your licence?

Why not look at trackdays to kerb your enthusiasm or something that allows you to drive fast, yet your keep your licence at the end of it?

While I'm not going to suggest anything suspension wise, I will suggest a brick under your accelerator pedal so you can't floor it.

MeisterR

Well, it seems you already know the down side of going low, so I won't elaborate it that part.
How low do you want to go?

We recently redesign the MeisterR Zeta-R for the DC5 to allow the rear to go lower (mainly due to a damper / spring rate change).
So it will go as low as possible while retaining a nice ride.

But if you want to "stance" your car, you may end up looking at something like the SuperRace with the harder springs rate and damper valving.
That is simply to reduce body movement as much as possible if you are going to run low offset wheels.
They won't be as comfortable as the Zeta-R, but that is a choice you have to make.

I am happy to help on the suspension part if you have a clear goal in mind, but one thing I have to ensure is safety.
So don't go crazy stupid low to the point where the car is dangerous, because that is just "dumb".

Jerrick

mark10101

Fubar Andy said:
That's the stupidest thing I've read on here EVER!

I know your new, but that kind of attitude to purposely compromise a DC5's suspension so that's its unusable and make you go slower is utterly ridiculous and poorly thought out.

If you've got 9 points would it not be worth, I don't know, slowing down? I know we all get excited when driving but it seems you've not learnt your lesson. Why not buy something less aggressive and perhaps you might retain your licence?

Why not look at trackdays to kerb your enthusiasm or something that allows you to drive fast, yet your keep your licence at the end of it?

While I'm not going to suggest anything suspension wise, I will suggest a brick under your accelerator pedal so you can't floor it.
wow sorry for offending you

MeisterR said:
Well, it seems you already know the down side of going low, so I won't elaborate it that part.
How low do you want to go?

We recently redesign the MeisterR Zeta-R for the DC5 to allow the rear to go lower (mainly due to a damper / spring rate change).
So it will go as low as possible while retaining a nice ride.

But if you want to "stance" your car, you may end up looking at something like the SuperRace with the harder springs rate and damper valving.
That is simply to reduce body movement as much as possible if you are going to run low offset wheels.
They won't be as comfortable as the Zeta-R, but that is a choice you have to make.

I am happy to help on the suspension part if you have a clear goal in mind, but one thing I have to ensure is safety.
So don't go crazy stupid low to the point where the car is dangerous, because that is just "dumb".

Jerrick
wouldnt happen to have any pictures of your coilovers on dc5s?