cold starts becoming chuggy?

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
NEVER had issues with my car starting but after the last few frosty nights it takes maybey second or third press of the button. Mind you it was fine this morning.
Any way to make it invincible in the cold start again?

Defo not my battery its all new. Starter motor? Antifreeze? Im open to suggestions thanks!

jay82

Advanced Member
nothing really prob start her for a few mins before you go to bed and make sure that every thing is off

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
i've got the normal key start but I also notice when weather is around 3 degrees and less the starter motor sticks and makes that horrible noise.

Only ever does it when its been sat over night though.

Rob84

Advanced Member
BillyMcc said:
NEVER had issues with my car starting but after the last few frosty nights it takes maybey second or third press of the button. Mind you it was fine this morning.
Any way to make it invincible in the cold start again?

Defo not my battery its all new. Starter motor? Antifreeze? Im open to suggestions thanks!
just because the battery is new doesnt mean its not at fault. If the cranking amps are lower then what they should be then it will struggle to crank the engine over and the cold weather wont help either. It could also be your alternator. if thats past its best, it could be leaving your battery with a low charge which would cause it to be sluggish cranking over

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
i've got the normal key start but I also notice when weather is around 3 degrees and less the starter motor sticks and makes that horrible noise.Only ever does it when its been sat over night though.
Ya i hate that metalic "scratch" noise ya get on the cold mornings.. :?

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
Dc5Dub07 said:
coyote_dc5 said:
i've got the normal key start but I also notice when weather is around 3 degrees and less the starter motor sticks and makes that horrible noise.Only ever does it when its been sat over night though.
Ya i hate that metalic "scratch" noise ya get on the cold mornings.. :?
thats it yeah! sounds nasty. So i take it this is normal?

markie

Advanced Member
might be that our jap cars have smaller batterys and the -tempatures affect them more.

MarkyD

Advanced Member
Low temps cause problems with everything: batterys, block temperatures, even the fuel properties so its probably a cumulative effect.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
my car sounds awesome on the cold mornings (like this morning when i started it in -4) the air intake screechs for air and the engine fires into life 8)

donkeykong

Advanced Member
no problems here either, just battery not that strong cause dont drive much,

but that screech is something i never have, hope it will stay that way.