Comparison - DC5 vs. Civic FN2

dj_tonylee

Hi Everyone

Not a DC5 owner yet.....

However I am interested if anyone has owned both the DC5 and the FN2?

I obviosuly know the DC5 is a much better car in many ways but is there much difference between the 2 in say running costs, drive etc.

Just wondered what peoples opinions were if they had owned both

Thanks
Tony

Torque-GT

Running costs will be similar except insurance which will be more for the DC5 (how much will depend on your age/ncb etc)

FN2 is a softer drive but still a very capable car. Cockpit with the dials etc is great in my opinion, others hate it. DC5 is more exclusive, better drive if you like to push on a bit.

Drive them both and see what suits you.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I drove a UK fn2 a few years ago and it was a really nice fresh look being a newer car, i also love the interior and exterior finish. Only things that I found I disliked slightly was similar to what I found with the older UK ep3. I felt that it would benefit from an LSD and I'm quite a slim guy so the seats felt a bit to big for me but that's splitting hairs as I realise that they have to look at the whole market. Obviously the jdm versions do have some of these after market items, other than that I love the drive of the fn2. Just for a note I drove 2 fn2's on a circuit one with the 18 inch rims and one with the 19 inch rage alloys and felt even though the 19's looked nice it drove better on the 18's. I don't compare it to much to my dc5 as I'm to biased lol, both great cars running costs as torque imports explained.

Olly

nick's-cw

Advanced Member
Your best bet is to test drive both if you can, at least twice lol

I've owned both, I should of bought a DC5 in 2007. I only kept my fn2 for 6 months, 12k miles, five cars later I finally buy a dc5.

The first time I saw my fn2, the day I picked it up

As said, dc5 insurance is cheaper. For me not much difference as I have to have a business policy for work & my fn2 was new.

Both are a fairly hard ride, dc5 a lot more harsh, but you don't buy cars like these to make you feel like your driving on cotton wool. I got my FRSU sorted as soon as possible.

Fuel economy, I found, if driven completely like a nanny, dc5 wins, hard driving then fn2 wins. I was always hitting the limiter in the fn2. At the time there was no fix for the third gear problem & a week after it was sold I got a hand brake re-call. Day to day the greater dc5 power & weight difference is really noticeable, both being very rewarding. If the fn2 had a diff, more power & went on a diet it would be a weapon & I'd probably still own it today.

At the time the fn2 was our second car & my son was 3 months old. If the three of us went anywhere there was loads of room & it was really easy to get him in & out apart from the drivers memory seat that used to drive me mad. No problem now as the little monster's five - going on eighteen.

Build quality, dc5 wins again, after one day the fn2 plastics around the drivers door & centre console were scratched. My dc5 interior is in better condition now, after ten years, than my civic's after six months. I still love the fn2 dash today even so the dc5 dash isn't dull at all. There's a lot newer cars with far duller interior's than a fn2.

After two weeks I took it back to Honda so they could test the paint depth on the front end, it was covered in stone chips & I hadn't even taken it on the motorway, Honda didn't want to no. After five days some t*t reversed into the rear bumper which left a nice 3" black mark.

A lot of people rate fn2's but if you can afford it buy a dc5, you really won't regret it.

paul 16v

Advanced Member
My brother has c/w fn2 and i think its a great all round car.. as someone said the dash and dials are great.. i would say its alot easier to live with than a dc5 if your after a daily driver.But looks wise the dc5 looks far more special

TailsVtec

ive recently just bought a dc5 after owning an fn2 for nearly three years. the fn2 was a great car however so far in my opinion it lacked the fingertip response and turn in capabilities that you get with the dc5. The dc5 is a lot better and more fun car to drive hard by a mile. As an every day cruiser however i would say the fn2 was top notch, interior was a very nice place to be (just not as nice as a dc5 :D). running costs exactly as torque imports stated.
I do agree with ollydc5, i have also driven an fn2 with 18" and 19" alloys and the 18"s are a lot better to drive on.

gibby85

Advanced Member
I think FN2's are great looking cars but the lack of a rear view, lsd and decent suspension puts me off AND my old EM1 Civic beat them down the 1/4 mile....

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
I'd take an FD2 over an FN2 any day... Are the prices that much different?

Lack of LSD, lack of power (relatively) and lack of exclusivity mean I'd take the DC5 > FD2 > FN2

leejw87

Spoon Whore
FN2 Mugen Looks Savage.. :twistednod in real life situations a DC5 aint gonna be much Faster than a FN2. maybe round a Track but where do you drive more.

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
in real life situations a DC5 aint gonna be much Faster than a FN2
To refer you to the sayings of an old wise man...

'It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning' :lol:

Seriously though, I get what you mean but I see at least 3 FN2 Type R's a day on my 20 mile commute. They're not bad cars, they're just everywhere!

Grov

Banned
ive recently just bought a dc5 after owning an fn2 for nearly three years. the fn2 was a great car however so far in my opinion it lacked the fingertip response and turn in capabilities that you get with the dc5. The dc5 is a lot better and more fun car to drive hard by a mile. As an every day cruiser however i would say the fn2 was top notch, interior was a very nice place to be (just not as nice as a dc5 :D). running costs exactly as torque imports stated.
I do agree with ollydc5, i have also driven an fn2 with 18" and 19" alloys and the 18"s are a lot better to drive on.
Eh? You think the DC5 has a nicer interior than a Fn2? Ive just got a FK3 2.2 Type S GT, and it's miles better than my Teg was. Teg has awesome seats, but other than that, the Fn2 is far far better.

FD2 is much more expensive.

You can get a Fn2 with LSD, all the CW white one's after 09 were LSD as standard i think.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Seriously though, I get what you mean but I see at least 3 FN2 Type R's a day on my 20 mile commute. They're not bad cars, they're just everywhere!
Well I see you in your Teg, Matty, the other black one with green wheels knocking around tunbridge wells & soon to be Coleman with his.. So it's looks like a FN2 could be more exclusive soon

At least round Tunbridge Wells ;)

TailsVtec

Eh? You think the DC5 has a nicer interior than a Fn2? Ive just got a FK3 2.2 Type S GT, and it's miles better than my Teg was. Teg has awesome seats, but other than that, the Fn2 is far far better.

FD2 is much more expensive.

You can get a Fn2 with LSD, all the CW white one's after 09 were LSD as standard i think.
to be honest the main reason i think the teg has a nicer interior is because i prefer the more simple steering wheel and normal speedometer that it sports, me personally the digital speedometer was a novelty that soon wore off. also the materials used in the teg interior feels more sturdy to me.