Comparison in vibrations between engine mounts

Alex.J

Advanced Member
Hi gents,

In the dc5 it has the ES inserts front and back and power flex gearbox mount!

Now I want to do it properly and have new mounts installed!

I will go for either avid or hasport as these get the best reviews and will get the 60/62a stiffness..

I just after a vibration comparison between the 2 from anybody who has had both?!

Vibrations less with the inserts or 60/62a mounts?!

Thank you

Brecht

Advanced Member
less vibrations/droning noises with the inserts !
vibrations can be felt a lot more when on idle, when driving you don't really notice anything.
from experience , when changing all the mounts you'll get some droning noises when driving.
i've decided to change the drivers side mount back to oem and leave the rest as 60a and it's like driving with inserts but with less engine movement.
The droning with the drivers side mount back to oem is also reduced alot, still on the motorway you'll get a bit more droning compared to inserts.
If the oem mount decides to give up , i'll just change it to the 60a one :xgrin:

edit : i've got the full innovative 60a mount kit, don't really know if it's any different compared to hasport or avid...

blueguy

Resident J's whore
You will get more vibration with the mounts. A lot of people worry about the increased vibrations but what is more noticeable IMO is the increased cabin noise.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
If you're happy with what you have, then I don't see why you should upgrade. If you're not, then I'd recommend you get a passenger ride with someone who has them to give you a better idea.

Alex.J

Advanced Member
blueguy said:
If you're happy with what you have, then I don't see why you should upgrade. If you're not, then I'd recommend you get a passenger ride with someone who has them to give you a better idea.
Well inserts are just a bodge fix and I don't agree with it!

I want all the mounts intact without inserts!

Will have to get a passenger ride !

Vibratechnics look good!

Rom

Advanced Member
I can't link, as I'm on my and can't find it.... But

There's a thread on club rsx, which linked to another Honda forum I think. About guys modifying standard mounts with polyurethane resin.

Basically turning standard into poly mounts. And choosing the shore rating that suits them, as the resin comes in all sorts of grades.

I've gone down the stiff mounts road before with a previous car. And I won't be doing it again.
A lot of excess vibration and noise, for very little noticeable gain.
Sure, my engine didn't move, but unless I'm spending my life ein the track, what am I gaining.

I'll be running inserts, purely because my buddy club header has no flexi and apparently the inserts save them from cracking.
That's probably about as stiff as I want anyway.

I don't know your situation, but it's very easy to make a car you love, a pain to be in by going too nits with mounts and stuff. I know 60 isn't that hard, just saying :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Alex.J

Advanced Member
Rom said:
I can't link, as I'm on my and can't find it.... But
There's a thread on club rsx, which linked to another Honda forum I think. About guys modifying standard mounts with polyurethane resin.
Basically turning standard into poly mounts. And choosing the shore rating that suits them, as the resin comes in all sorts of grades.
I've gone down the stiff mounts road before with a previous car. And I won't be doing it again.
A lot of excess vibration and noise, for very little noticeable gain.
Sure, my engine didn't move, but unless I'm spending my life ein the track, what am I gaining.
I'll be running inserts, purely because my buddy club header has no flexi and apparently the inserts save them from cracking.
That's probably about as stiff as I want anyway.
I don't know your situation, but it's very easy to make a car you love, a pain to be in by going too nits with mounts and stuff. I know 60 isn't that hard, just saying :)
Thanks for your response!

The car is my second car, well 3rd if we are being pedantic!

So the requires are not daily driven comfort, however, it will be driven in summer a lot, almost daily! And ideally a fair few times on track!

But, I don't want vibrations and cabin noise to be stupid, I still want it to be as close to standard feel as possible!

With the inserts in the vibration doesn't bother me too much, it's the resonant cabin noise!

Basically, I want my cake and eat it! I want new bushes that are stiff enough to hold the engine but not sound or vibrate like a broken washing machine!

Rom

Advanced Member
I'd imagine the proper mounts would be worse in that regard than the inserts?

I just don't want my header to crack or in wouldn't even be looking at them.

Mine will be my only car, not driven daily, but still needs to be sort of sensible.
I went too far with one daily, with the mounts, had solid, literally blocks of ally mounts for the rear beam, coilovers, group n top mounts etc. Stiffer arbs, policy mounts in arms, everywhere. Was just too much! As you revved, different parts shook.

Your one step ahead then being a fun car.
The thread I read was pretty good. To the point some people were just very slightly stiffening standard mounts.

My dc5 is still on a ship. But I think the setup is something like a normal mount by chain, then buffer mounts which limit movement or something?
With the mounts at front and back of block / gearbox too?

MrRy

Advanced Member
I had billet 62a mounts in my dc2 turbo and you could feel it when you weren't moving and you couldn't t use your rear view mirror due to the vibration at any time , but it was smooth and no extra noise once moving.

I only uprated them due to running a load of extra torque. If you were staying N/A there is no reason to not replace like for like. Personally I would buy brand new mounts and put inserts in them, go down the mugen or hard race route or do what I did and fill the OEM torque mounts with 60a poly for a nice compromise.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

MrRy

Advanced Member

Rom

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
This is basically what I did and made a thread on the dc2 forum somewhere. Used parcel tape to hold in the poly etc. It works really well. You'll spend around £12 for the poly which is enough to do 2 main mounts but you can choose various bottle sizes.

Any chance you could dig out a link at some point?

Have you used any other mounts to compare them too?

What shore did you go for, and... Would you do it again?

MrRy

Advanced Member
I've had worn OEM mounts, inserts, self made poly 60a torque mounts (dc2 had 3 torque mounts and 2 engine mounts) and billet 60a mounts and the best for road use was 60a poly. I'm going to go down the route of getting mugen engine mounts and as that package doesn't contain a rear gearbox mount, I'll be getting a new OEM gearbox mounts and using my left over 60a poly.

No question.

jasondc55

Advanced Member
I have just installed Front a rear engine mount inserts and very pleased with them . I have no cabin noise or vibration .I hear you asking the question 'Why not? The answer is I have fitted the red type inserts which are smooth yet give the same performance and slick gear changes as the hash black inserts. Funky power have these type.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
ive had all sorts from stock to proper solid, and will always opt for inserts , simple, cheap , easy and relaible with only a small increase in vibration, with solid mounts it was just aweful, couldnt really sit in traffic without raising the idle rpm to 1200 or so to smooth it out,

Tegiwa Imports

Parts Trader
We sell Innovative, purely on the basis of quality in terms of machining/packaging. Avid look like they have been chop-sawed out of billet and Hasport are ok but their datums all over the place meaning their chamfering isn't the best. Everything about Innovative is 100% perfect.

Innovative have some pretty good reviews here...

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=702374

Thanks