Condensation in lights!

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Starting to get very frustrated with my drivers side headlight. First headlight got condensation, kept drying it out and eventually it blew my ballast. Brought another light off a member on here, no previous condensation issue. After one wash it was ok, after the next its just as bad as my previous light and now my headlight has gone out. I hope its not the ballast again
Love my car to bits but this is really buggin me as it ruins the whole look of the car, car is faultless apart from the drivers side light :evil:

So,
OPTION 1
Do i cook my spare light and try seal it? Or certain ooints i should try seal up?

OPTION 2
Drill a hole in the light to help it escape? But where?

OPTION 3
Buy new headlights. Would probably have to be both otherwise it may look odd, last option though as it is a expensive option!

blueguy

Resident J's whore
if it was me, i'd buy new headlights. Aside from solving the issue you will be amazed visually what a difference it makes. Jammygit has a new set on his car and it was the first thing that jumped out at me, it was that obvious - they looked clearer than my facelift lights and I thought mine were unblemished!

Btw, have you tried the silica gel pack/dental floss mod?

Stylesa

Advanced Member
drill a hole... its works.

drill it horizontally into the back of the light, water wont get in but the heat of the engine bay will.

if the problem persists you could then buy new headlights?

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Will try drilling it, if it doesnt work will get some new headlights.

Tried the gel, only worked for a few days.

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Checked my ballast, its blown again. Water poured out of it! :evil: Noticed a hole in the back of the HID light cover, used the same one from my previous light so no doubt this is what has caused water to get it. Sealed it up now so will see if its cured it then will have to buy another ballast.

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
gutted! Thats nasty!

Ive found that some ballast units are sealed and some are not?

I may drill a hole in my light to let out condensation! :)

Grov

Banned
Can anyone post a picture of where to drill the hole? I have the same problem and will try a hole first.

-Woody-

Advanced Member
IMO do not put a hole in it, realised this is what caused mine to gather condensation. Checked the back of of this light is secure ie the screw cap backing to the HID bulb and the full beam bulb gromit is on and also that the ballast pack is tightly secured.

Grov

Banned
Im not prepared to take the lens off though. it looks wank, but doesn't look like there is a lot i can do.