Confused about HID kit replacement

Topter

Hi guys, I've really tried to research this but getting confused and have admitted defeat and now writing this...

I've had an issue since I bought the car, that the nearside headlight wouldn't turn on every time. It's gradually just died completely on me. This weekend I swapped the ballasts over and the problem remained on the nearside...then tonight the offside light (with ballast previously in nearside) just went out on me, it same back briefly a few times but not for long. I've swapped the ballasts back and now at least I have one headlight back (nearside!), although requires a few goes still before it ignites.

I had been trying to work out whether to buy a replacement ballast or igniter cable, but have found that the kit is already aftermarket, HIDS Direct model B-11. So no point in getting OEM parts I assume.

So thinking I need to buy whole new kit. One thread on here stated I need D2R bulb kit, but on HIDS4U that seems to be OEM sizes...as mine is aftermarket does that matter then to get D2R or will HB3 or something similar be ok, basically whatever matches the HID kit?

They also don't list the DC5, they recommend HB3/9005 35w Slim ProPlus Xenon HID Conversion Kit for the DC2, would DC2 kits work ok?

Other queries are whether 55w or 35w are much different? Whether you need a CANBUS adapter either way.

Any advise, suggestions or part recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Could this even be the wiring or electronics in the car rather than the HID kit?

Thanks.

Topter

In answer to my own questions in case someone else with similar issue finds this post...

Found that Model B-11 was just the ballast model so none of the HID companies could tell me what bulbs went with them because they would work with various different kinds. Therefore I had to find out what bulb was already in there. Follow Dan2020's DIY guide 'Front Bumper & Headlight Removal'. The light housing states:

Japan : H1 12V55W OR D2R 12V35W
USA : H1 12V55W

I stuck with the D2R bulbs and got 'D2S and D2R 35w ProPlus Xenon Conversion Kit' with 5000k pure white bulbs from HIDS4U for £100 (extra cost if you go for OEM rating 4500k bulbs).

Instructions were included in the kit but everything is pretty obvious so I would just refer to the safety instructions. I fitted the offside light's ballast to the top of the strut housing, and the nearside light's ballast to the bulk head right behind the lights.

All worked straight away.

Other queries, 55w or 35w - I stuck with 35w as thats the rating for D2R bulbs, I assume if you want to light up half your town and perhaps dazzle everyone coming in the other direction then you can go for H1 bulbs and a 55w kit (Note: this is an assumption and I do not pretend to know for sure that H1 bulbs will work). CANBUS or no CANBUS - no mention of it in the product description I think that's really for cars that expect 55w and someones installed 35w kit.

HTH.