Considering a DC5... but it's Type S!

Cobblepop

Hi guys, new to the forum and hoping for a little advice.

I'm on a budget looking for a daily runner with a difference and the DC5 ticks all the boxes except the price... and then I see an Integra Type S on Autotrader for 4k (apologies, not sure how to post links but it's easy to find).

I suppose my question at this point is what's the difference between Type S and Type R? Also is a DC5 any good as a daily runner? If anyone gets the chance to take a look on Autotrader I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks gents

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Lots of differences...performance, brakes, gearbox, interior etc. All the above making the type s a comfortable cruiser rather than a race car. Should make a good daily with the classic dc5 look. :)

Cobblepop

Hmm... sounds like a Type S might be a better choice for what I need then...

I'm assuming the 2.0 I-VTEC engine is still pretty nippy in the Type S even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Type R?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I believe it‘s 170bhp auto. Should be ample for daily duties. Something about revving the nuts off aType R though that an auto type S won‘t be able to compete with however. Test drive one and see what suits you. Plenty daily the Type r as well, but it‘s your decision at the end of the day. One will be considerably cheaper to buy that‘s for sure.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
If you need a daily cruiser then I'd say for the money it's a good car, if you want something more raw for road/track use then a Type R is the way. You have the DC5 looks and could always upgrade things to make it feel like a Type R (buckets, brakes, Exhaust system and so on if you wanted too) but if all you need is an easy to drive cruiser but like the DC5 looks then it's ideal imo.

But as said there are many differences but those differences come with a price and you'll always be compromising on comfort and so on with an R.

Personally I like the look of it and think it'd be a good reliable car offering a nice easy daily driver so can't go wrong imo.

ste01

Advanced Member
I used to have a 2005 Civic type S with the same K20a3 160bhp (but a 5 speed manual) and when I compared with an ep3 they aren't bad at all. Lacks a bit of the urgency up in the top end due to the lower rev limiter but still quick enough. To be honest I didn't think there was much difference on the road between a type R and a type S. Unless you're driving hard and getting near the edge of the cars you will find that the steering feel is the same, you get the same planted feel through corners (but more comfortable ride on the S) and both fairly nippy with nice engines.
I found it similar when I briefly drove an Integra type S and compared it to my 2 type Rs. End of the day, As long as you aren't one of those people who will always think "I wish this was a type R" then you'll be fine.

ste01

Advanced Member
Nah ep3 are nearly all rotten or just worn out. I considered one before getting a second integra. Although to be fair I found the same with most of the DC5s for sale earlier this year too

nails

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Nah ep3 are nearly all rotten or just worn out. I considered one before getting a second integra. Although to be fair I found the same with most of the DC5s for sale earlier this year
There are some good ones still out there, but yes, you will need to check for rust on any old Honda, I have seen quite a few DC5's rusting now, and in fact, some are now going rusty in Japan :xaiweb6: I keep an eye on the auction sites in Japan and there are now many examples of ones coming through with visibly rusting arches.

ste01

Advanced Member
nails said:
There are some good ones still out there, but yes, you will need to check for rust on any old Honda, I have seen quite a few DC5's rusting now, and in fact, some are now going rusty in Japan :xaiweb6: I keep an eye on the auction sites in Japan and there are now many examples of ones coming through with visibly rusting arches.
Yeah rust is becoming pretty common. Most cars have after a few years to be honest, even if they aren't imports. I've experience as a corrosion engineer and coating inspector so I'm pretty fussy and good at digging out the faults. You'll get rust anywhere, Japan, England, wherever. Any salt makes a massive difference though, that's why our winters can be hard on cars, or keeping a car by the sea

carl hammond

Advanced Member
The thing is guys he may not be bothered about vtec as such but more a nice looking car, newer with space in it and so on as he said " I'm on a budget looking for a daily runner with a difference and the DC5 ticks all the boxes except the price "

The CRX and the likes are a lot older and although great cars do not offer the same daily comforts as a Type S would so I think from reading his post it's more he'd like a more usable cheaper alternative to the actual DC5 R which would be the Type S.

CRX, Accord Type R etc are all great cars but may not be affordable for him for other reasons, daily use, insurance, running costs and so on, he could consider other Accords, Preludes maybe, but I don't think either offer the internal space a DC5 of any type can (especially with the seats down), they are pretty big cars inside with a great look from the outside also :)

DC5Curn

Advanced Member
I think its a great buy for a daily. Id much rather have this than an EP3 if I was driving in traffic. Looks good for 4k