Couple of maintenance questions @ 100k miles

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
So my dc5 has just surpassed 100k miles, I want to carry out some necessary maintenance jobs, I have a few questions,

Exactly what should be done and checked at 100k miles?

Are there any special requirements or steps that should be carried out when setting the valve clearances? are there any guides online for it, should I bother checking the timing chain? should I replace the timing chain tensioner? I drive my dc5 very hard from time to time so I believe this is a good idea?

Also, what size of cone filter fits an arm v2 intake pipe? is it a 3 inch cone filter? any recommendations for a filter?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
All the fluids, plugs and yes get the clearances done if you've not done them. Chain and tensioner will be stretched a little but normally they stretch until something is noticeable like timing or rattling before they snap so unless you've got deep pockets I'd not worry too much but if you do it, then do both together.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'm in a similar situation to you. Mine has passed 100k although I have no way of knowing how much of that is miles.

For piece of mind I'm going to do my chain, guides and tensioner but that's just me. Having had major failure on a previous car, (not a Honda I might add) I'm a prevention rather than cure kinda guy!

Other things worth checking I'd say is suspension components although most dc5s now have had some sort of suspension change but if you still have standard dampers they may be worth checking along with things like wishbone bushes.

As said, all fluids although clutch fluid, brake fluid and gearbox oil I do every 2 years.

Rad hoses can become brittle over time too so can be a good opportunity to upgrade.

Some say fuel filter and maybe look at getting the injectors professionally cleaned too so as to restore the best spray pattern.

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Doing it yourself might save you some money, but why not take it and have it serviced? There are plenty of places that are not under the Honda franchise that will do it if you're worried about spending loads.

My car is on 98k - I had the full service done a couple of months ago by TDI North for a very reasonable price. Peace of mind and all that! I had my timing chain checked and it was only very minimally stretched so decided not to have that done.

Re-sale value will be better too if there's a decent service history.