Cracked discs.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Badly. They've only been on since April.

Apparently they've got a 90day warranty. I think it's ridiculous that a nearly £500 product doesn't even last a year.

Most of the grooves are cracked like this.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
what brand, how many miles have you done / how many track days, where did you get them from?

Kevin85

Advanced Member
That's what I thought, warranty shouldn't come into it if the product isn't fit for purpose. I've contacted the supplier and they told me about the 90days.

I didn't start this thread as a name and shaming, although it will definitely turn into that if I don't get a satisfactory result.

They've been on the car for roughly 10k as it gets used most days, had 4 track days through them. I say 4, but it's 3 plus a ring trip and 4 25minute sessions of Spa. The rest has been mostly motorway miles. There's not much wear on them at all.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Wouldn't be surprised if when the slots were cut they caused a heat temper differential making them weak.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Wow, that is quite a crack.

I'm going to guess they are the SPD ones as I can't think of anyone else who does 2 piece without going for aftermarket calipers too.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Wow, that is quite a crack.

I'm going to guess they are the SPD ones as I can't think of anyone else who does 2 piece without going for aftermarket calipers too.
You guessed right, although they are not manufactured by SPD. They are manufactured by Compbrake.

I have got an 'answer' from Compbrake, via SPD, it's not great. Apparently there is no warranty against parts wearing out (no excrement). These aren't worn, they're cracked.

Compbrake has effectively blamed my choice of pads, because I didn't buy the brand they sell, Hawk. This, to me, is frankly bullexcrement. I ran a set of DS2500, and then moved to PBS800, which are rated to 800*C. I experienced no fade or reduced braking efficiency on any of my sessions.

SPD then advised me it was potentially my use of the brake servo still being connected. It's not a racing car with a 6:1 ratio pedal box.. My car is relatively standard, with only brake, suspension and tyre upgrades. I don't drive like a lunatic, but I use the car as it and the parts I fit were designed to be used. I have hours of footage demonstrating this. I'm never on the ABS, aside from when it's wet.

RIDICULOUS.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
You didnt go and use them for braking did you? Definitely worth the name and shame that. Always baffles me that they dont just throw a new set of disks at it and ask you to spread the word.
Bad publicity costs a lot more to repair than a set of disks.

Mebz

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
You didnt go and use them for braking did you? Definitely worth the name and shame that. Always baffles me that they dont just throw a new set of disks at it and ask you to spread the word.
Bad publicity costs a lot more to repair than a set of disks.
Exactly, that's SPD off my list.

Liam

Advanced Member
Disappointing to hear as I've had good experiences with both SPD and Compbrake in the past. Will be avoiding this setup for sure.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
To be fair, they've had plenty of success with these discs. It doesn't mean they're a below par product, it just means mine have failed for whatever reason. They're blaming friction material on my choice of pads. If, IF that is in fact the reason for the failure, where are the warnings, advisories or recommendations stating this?

We are still in talks, I hope. For what it's worth, they performed faultlessly for the time they weren't cracked to eff.

martinj46

Advanced Member
I've been running these discs with pagid rs29 pads (pagid sell these as endurance racing pads, so pretty aggressive) for over a year now and done heaps of trackdays on them with no issues at all.

I'll be keeping a close eye on them after seeing this, but it's probably more likely yours were a faulty set unfortunately. Hope they come to a better agreement for sorting it

Kevin85

Advanced Member
This is exactly my logic, there's no way they shouldn't be used with an assortment of pads.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
hmm could just be bad luck with a faulty set.. but ridic that they arent replacing to save the bad press as mentioned above

where do you even get these from, couldnt find anywhere that sells these online

Kevin85

Advanced Member
They dont sell them anymore. I've said I want my money back, if what they're saying is true about pad choice, I don't want to be limited to hawk as I'm very happy with PBS. I've lost faith in the component, which is a shame as I bought them with the intention of replacing the discs when necessary.

They were £470.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Makes you wonder why they don't sell then anymore then, maybe they've had other failing reports?

martinj46

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
I brought that up, apparently I'm the only one.
Thread revival!

Just to add to this, my set of these discs have now also cracked along the grooves. They lasted 7 track days and considerable road mileage (mainly motorway miles getting from Scotland to English track days though), but don't look worn out yet. Disappointing from such an expensive product.

I won't be trying to claim anything back from SPD/Compbrake as I've had them a couple of years and haven't used their recommended hawk pads. Just wanted to make people aware before buying.