Cracked Windscreen!

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
My windscreen is donning a 2p sized 'shattered' crack this evening!!! I got it on the motorway. It obviously cant stay this way.

Has anyone else needed to replace the 'screen? Will I have any issues? I understand that the side trim running each side may need to be replaced.

TIA,

corbie

Advanced Member
Yeah had mine replaced as I got a crack in it. Make sure they have the trim at the same time as one of trims doesn't sit right cause of the way the windscreen had settled and they put the trim on a week later when it came from Honda. :evil:

Oh and Honda don't pack them well my first windscreen was broken, but the second one was fine.

T666YPR

scaryprowler said:
I understand that the side trim running each side may need to be replaced.
Could they make it any more inconvenient to replace the windscreen? :?

Corbie,how much are they (screen & trim) to replace when they go?

Simon

corbie

Advanced Member
Got it through the insurance so £50 excess.

Was loving making the claim you take sooo much cash off me for a premiun and now its payback :)

They had to go to Honda so no crappy replacement one, like some of the compaines do for uk cars.

Might get another crac :wink: so the trim is done properly this time

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Thanks for the input Corbie.

I've got unlimited windscreen cover with my insurers, £50 XS. Im chasing through this channel. It will need an OEM replacement as no one else produces them in Europe! I was told it could be as long as 8wks!

BTW, what part is the trim exactly? Is it the two plastic strips that adorn each side of the screen, or are we on about the whole rubber surround :? ?

Thanks,

Mark

corbie

Advanced Member
get them to speak to Honda as you can get them in about 3 - 4 of days from Belguim.

Yes the trim I am talking about is the two black strips on each side of the windscreen. The way they are held in it looks like there is no way of getting them off without breaking them. Maybe there is a way to get them off but Autoglass didn't find it :roll:

mikegsi

Staff member
i was thinking about this the other day, if i was to go through my insurance would the windscreen company be able to source the correct windscreen?

i had problems with a uk spec mitsi 3000gt tt, had a nasty crack in it, they tried to repair it but it didnt look right, they couldnt source the correct windscreen, or so they told me anyway.

but would someone like auto windscreens be able to get the proper windscreen, and at what cost, i have fully comp ins so would only have the £50 excess to pay, but where would the screen come from??

hada stone hit my screen today, thankfully just a loud bang, no marks left #-o

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Speak to Dave in Parts at Steels Honda, he told me they should be available on next day delivery from Belgium :!:

Mike

T666YPR

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Windscreen £188.73
Top moulding £13.23
NO STOCK in Honda Europe,so direct from Honda Japan aprrox 14/21 days
You wouldn't need the side mouldings as they can be carefully removed rather than been ripped off by the fitter!!"

Thanks again to Dave @ Steels :)

Trung

Advanced Member
When I watched the BTCC last weekend, it looked to me like they were using perspec windows. :?

truffs

i agree, i thought i was going stupied, as the weight loaded from corner to the other you could see the front windscreen flexing and vibrating :idea: