CRACKING MANIFOLD

martyndc5

ive got a spoon 421 manifold and on the flange near the head, the header pipes keep cracking,ive had it tig welded about 1500 miles ago and its done the same again.....the weld was very good and was done by a proper place so can rule out crap welding.........could it be the engine mounts, as the front seams to move about a bit off and on the throttle,and when i fitted a etd it made it better.....anyone got any ideas...?

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
I agree with sinbad, it can only be caused by the engine moving around, I think if it were hitting something, you'd hear it... engine mounts.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the spoon exhaust is designed to be a direct replacement for stock, and used with std mounts, uprated ones can only help.

which cylinder is the problem, is it 1 or 4 by any chance?

1 question, i have seen a couple of these crack in the past but not for a couple of years.
Where the 4 into 2 is bolted to the 2 into 1 have the std Honda spring bolts been used on the joint where cylinders 1 and 4 join?

these are critical to allow both joints to move, on the 2 cracked manifolds i have actually seen the spring bolts were not used.

sinbad

Advanced Member
hardest one to fit is the gearbox one i believe so you may as well do the others at the same time.

tdi north told me theyve only ever fitted them with the manifold off so labour could be expnsive. they didnt seem too keen on fitting mine.
If you know a mechanic or someone mechanical minded id get there help and do it yourself.
i beleive the ep3 ones will be similar :? ,link here how to fit them:
http://www.k-series.com/tech_document.php?id=12

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
they can be fitted in about an hour or so, but you need to remove the 2 into 1 section of the exhaust to fit the rear (not completely just undone where it meets the 4 into 2.
i would have thought Tdi north will have done loads of these.

sinbad

Advanced Member
ah it might be easier having the spoon manifold. unfortunately mine doesnt seperate like the OEM and spoon ones. :roll: