Crank pulley / crank bearing noise

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Finally tracked down a horrible whirring noise at about 1500 rpm+, coming from the crank pulley or cranks shaft bearing.

I'm after any information off any members on here - I've heard the rubbers in the pulley can go and makes a noise but obviously any bearing can fail.

Any advice / tips on what to do next?!

Cheers

Paul

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer has just had this done. Expensive job as you need to replace the chain at the same time I believe.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Well I'm pretty sure it's coming from there. Ill take the aux belt off tomorrow and make sure it's not any of the belt driven pumps/alternator but I had my head under the car and it sounded pretty obvious it was coming from there - only when upto 1500 +. On idle it was very very quiet!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Copied and pasted from my build thread xthumbup

Whilst continually starting the car and trying to diagnose the issue over several days a horrid knocking noise started to appear from the bottom end. By this time I was really getting concerned so gave up on it myself and got it to a fairly local garage recommended to me by a member on here Rossi.

It came as a massive relief to hear that the knocking was not the bottom end but the crank pulley that was knackered. It was still an expensive part (About £160 worth with new bolt) and I had to wait around 3 weeks for it to be shipped over but it was definitely the lesser of two evils.

As you can see, the pulley was well and truly knackered with the outer part being able to shift from side to side, independently of the rubber damper insert. The knocking was the outer part of the pulley catching the crank case:

Untitled by davidpingu, on Flickr

Pic of the new part fitted:

Not a job for the faint hearted I hear. Happy to have a go at most jobs myself but was glad to leave replacing this to a garage.

I also ordered this new arch liner cover to go over the new crank pulley:

This part was missing on my car so perhaps being more open to the elements resulted in a premature failure of the pulley?

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Copied and pasted from my build thread xthumbup

Whilst continually starting the car and trying to diagnose the issue over several days a horrid knocking noise started to appear from the bottom end. By this time I was really getting concerned so gave up on it myself and got it to a fairly local garage recommended to me by a member on here Rossi.

It came as a massive relief to hear that the knocking was not the bottom end but the crank pulley that was knackered. It was still an expensive part (About £160 worth with new bolt) and I had to wait around 3 weeks for it to be shipped over but it was definitely the lesser of two evils.

As you can see, the pulley was well and truly knackered with the outer part being able to shift from side to side, independently of the rubber damper insert. The knocking was the outer part of the pulley catching the crank case:

Pic of the new part fitted:

Not a job for the faint hearted I hear. Happy to have a go at most jobs myself but was glad to leave replacing this to a garage.

I also ordered this new arch liner cover to go over the new crank pulley:

This part was missing on my car so perhaps being more open to the elements resulted in a premature failure of the pulley?
Mine is more of a squeaky/whining noise, not a knocking noise so to speak. I'll take the pulley off and inspect it, see how it looks!

Any other ideas more than welcome! I've changed the belt and idler pulley as that was also worn (only done 43,000 miles!)

Cheers!

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
While the belt is off, check the water pump pulley turns smoothly
Is this a known fault with these? I'll have a play tomorrow. Anyone have a clue how much a water pump is?

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
The more I think about it the more I think the pulley is worn. It sounds like a squeaky belt, but the idler and belt have been changed. The tensioner is in good condition, although has a knock from it when cold. I'm 85% sure it's coming from the crank pulley after having my head under the car with my bro revving it.

The actual tensioner does move a bit when revved. Is this normal?

Thanks again

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Yes the tensioner should move. It's when it doesn't you have problems.
It's probably not the water pump but worth checking as mine was starting to feel like it was squeeking when I turned it by hand. They aren't expensive. No more than about £40 for a blueprint part I don't think. A real pain to fit though. Ended up taking all the inlet manifold off which I should have just done in the first place instead of struggling through the wheel arch.

The squeeking could be the rubber inner spinning inside the metal outer of the pulley if it's worn. Once the belt is off, get your hands around the pulley and pull the outer. If it's ok it shouldn't be able to move if it's still bonded to the central dampener

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Yes the tensioner should move. It's when it doesn't you have problems.
It's probably not the water pump but worth checking as mine was starting to feel like it was squeeking when I turned it by hand. They aren't expensive. No more than about £40 for a blueprint part I don't think. A real pain to fit though. Ended up taking all the inlet manifold off which I should have just done in the first place instead of struggling through the wheel arch.

The squeeking could be the rubber inner spinning inside the metal outer of the pulley if it's worn. Once the belt is off, get your hands around the pulley and pull the outer. If it's ok it shouldn't be able to move if it's still bonded to the central dampener
I shall try and get this done this morning. Thanks again!