Crashed the Teg :'(

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
DC187 said:
I think it's gonna be a write off mate, just waiting on insurance to confirm my suspicions.

I've already started eyeing up a selection of cars once I have this mess sorted :)
mines was just wheel damage aswell i dred to think what all those panels would cost to repair!

get some new wheels and be happy again!

acepty

Advanced Member
Sad to see :xcry:

at least nobody got hurt, and you are alive and kicking...

Hope you get it sorted soon mate

DC187

Well its now been confirmed a write off, repairs come in at a lil over £6k :eek:

Just gotta send some docs and await settlement now, hopefully won't take too long :)

D

delta.turbo

Glad your ok mate - sounds like a case of lift off oversteer, the bloke who bought my DC2 had this 6 days after buying it and wrote it off :-(

Initial D

Advanced Member
Wow sorry to see this, glad ur ok and got a good pay out :) Could it be somthing like a caliper locking up or something? Just it suddleing pulling to one side like that :s worring!

LA-DC5 ITR

Advanced Member
DC187 said:
Well its now been confirmed a write off, repairs come in at a lil over £6k :eek:

Just gotta send some docs and await settlement now, hopefully won't take too long :)
you getting another one then?

DC187

LA-DC5 ITR said:
DC187 said:

you getting another one then?
As much as I love Tegs, I'm going to take the opportunity to drive something else now me thinks. Looking at going down the Evo route.

Ultimately final agreed settlement decides what I get.

Sent all my docs over to insurance just waiting to hear back from them. Have been going round getting ads for DC5's in similar condition with 64k'ish miles on the clock, completely standard with the C-Pack. Seems they come in at around £9k so hoping I can blag that out of insurance, since according to the ABI (Association of British Insurers) you're meant to get back enough to buy a similar car in similar condition. If that's the case I should be able to profit by about £2k \:D/
Here's to hoping anyway.

Also no more PM's about wanting stuff from my old Teg, seems Bell have a no buy back policy for totalled cars :(

Will update you all again as things develop :)

Sweeney!

oh no, sorry to hear this mate. i hate seeing DC5's like this. Hopefully the insurance will give you a good price for it. I didn't know bell didn't allow buy back, that'swho i'm with too. Will be interesting to see how much they offer you.

markie

Advanced Member
My one was a 52 plate with 46000 mls smashed it last june. when the assessor came to look at it he phoned me asked all the history on the car and asked what i was thinking the car would be worth,what i said is that to buy the same car with simlar miles and condition was around £12000 he said that he would phone round some import dealers to find out and within an hour he got back to me with a settlement of £12700 -350 for my excess,i was well chuffed with the settlement +i had removed strut braces, floormats,mugen airbox,and other various parts before the assessor was to see it and made almost £900 of selling these parts,so i did all right out of it but it took a couple of months from the assessor looking at it to me receiving my money,also had a carry on getting my private plate of the car aswell.i hope you manage to get a good price from them and it dosent drag out as long as mine.

DC187

Well well well, I got the settlement figure through a couple o mins ago and I'm gob smacked.
I was expecting a poor offer but what they did offer is a complete joke.

They valued the car at £5000 :xrealangry:

Anyway phoned them up to have a phat rage at them but apparently only the file handler can deal with the case and should get a call back by noon tomorrow.

I did speak to a guy at bell who said he had a quick look on Auto Trader and agreed with me.

They say the base the valuations using Glass's guide, well the DC5 isn't listed on there.
So what I did was logon to Glass's guide select a 2001 DC2 and put in same mileage, guess what the valuation comes through as, yup £5000
They've gone and valued the car as a flipping DC2 ](*,)

Idiots, I wonder how long this whole ordeal will drag on...

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
DC187 said:
Well well well, I got the settlement figure through a couple o mins ago and I'm gob smacked.
I was expecting a poor offer but what they did offer is a complete joke.
I think as soon as someone engages a little common sense, this will all get sorted out. I managed to considerably bump up a valuation put on my mums car when it was written off. All I did was collected lots of current classifieds and presented them to the insurance company, and they paid out a much higher amount.

Hope this all gets sorted for you soon.

Tim J

Advanced Member
Just a bit of advice that seemed to work when my VT was T-boned.

After almost 1 year of writing letters asking my insurance company to even consider the adverts that I sent in, I instigated a complaint with FSA and within 6 weeks received an apology and a half decent settlement.

Insurance companies legally have to replace what you had with something comparative, however their views on comparative leave a lot to be desired.

Good luck in resolving this and although you may have thought about changing car direction, keep us posted.

Cheers

Tim J

DC187

Well just a bit of an update.

Took 2 days to get through to the person I need to speak to who pretty much says that I got to write to them in order to dispute the settlement fee.
I waited on 2x 3 hour call backs from them which just never happened.
I then got told I would get a call back about 2pm today which never happened.
Then eventually I get through to the person who tells me the above! :xrealangry:

The woman did say she was adament she got the value from glass's guide herself but she had to phone up for it.
I can only find the dc2 on the site so I emailed asking if they do have the dc5 on their database.
Also got a guy I know in a garage who's gona check it out.
I hope I ain't just being point blankly lied to :E

Anyway sending off my letter tomorrow with a bunch of adverts, also included a whole page of dc2's going at a higher price than what they gave me.

Hope this knocks some sense into them, here's to hoping anyway

dan the man

Advanced Member
lifted on the crest, stayed off the power while fighting the wheel. happens everday. Unlucky fella hope insurance gives u the full amount, dont settle for less.

DC187

Well just an update for you guys.

I got an email through from Bell this morning after filing my dispute with them last week. They have now decided to up the offer to £7500 \:D/

Can't really complain at that as that's spot on what I originally paid for the Teg.

So I'm dead pleased at the result, and pleased Bell didn't make a big song and dance about it, just accepted what I sent

So just gota wait for the additional cheque to come through the post which will take roughly a week.
Will start looking more thoroughly for me next ride this weekend, I'll leave what it is I'm looking for as a surprise

Cheers for all the top tips peeps, very much appreciated them

jay82

Advanced Member
try get more out of them :lol:

thats seems fair enough getting your money back

DC187

Just thought I'd update this one last time.

I've now been looking around for my next ride for the last couple of weeks and have now put a deposit down on this: http://www.merryhillautocentre.co.uk/site_detail.php?listing=140

Still on a boat at the moment but should be in the UK by 29th and the guy reckons he can get it ready and on the road by 5th May.

I'm dead excited :p

Just like to say one last time thanks to all the peeps with their friendly advice on here :)

Tim J

Advanced Member
DC187 said:
Well just an update for you guys.

I got an email through from Bell this morning after filing my dispute with them last week. They have now decided to up the offer to £7500 \:D/
Can't really complain at that as that's spot on what I originally paid for the Teg.
What's really worrying is that yours was a '51 plate and they only paid out £7.5k

I bought a fresh import last year ( '51 plate ) and paid nearly £11k - If mine gets written off, I stand to lose out big time.
I'm sure I'm not the only one is this situation, anyone any ideas as to how to minimize the potential shortfall?

Cheers

Tim J