Crashy / harsh suspension

I'm pretty sure my DC5 has Tein lowering springs fitted to it and while I like the height, I find it pretty rough to drive on anything but perfect surfaces. I don't want to put coilovers on it, anything good will be more than I want to spend, is going back to OEM the only other option?

I don't mind if it raises the ride height a little, I'd rather have it higher and enjoy driving it more!

BataLeon

Advanced Member
I have the Eibach Sportline (front) and Pro-Kit (Rear) setup on standard shocks. The ride feels good, the wife has never complained and says it's fine so that the real test! :lol:

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Got a spare set in my garage :)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Hmmm, have you!? Ha ha. I may be interested in them in the future if they're still available? I'm tempted to upgrade my setup from the OEM dampers. How much are you after for them?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
£400 mate with spoon springs. Standard crap rust on springs which is common with spoon.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
£400 mate with spoon springs. Standard crap rust on springs which is common with spoon.

Good price, I wouldn't need the springs as I've already got some Spoons. Would you lower the price at all based on this?

Carl really rates the Showa, do you like them John? I'm planning a holiday soon and I'm in the middle of a house move so I'd need to check if I can afford them.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I converted Carl to them mate :)

Had them for years now on both tegs. I've never felt the need for anything more from them.

The Showas sound interesting. I don't really do any track work with the car, just country lanes and find it bangs around too much you lose grip as the suspension can't keep up.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
I converted Carl to them mate :)

Had them for years now on both tegs. I've never felt the need for anything more from them.

Yep John sold me a set I bought brand new spoon springs and I love the setup. They are the perfect compromise for track and road use and if anyone‘s driven a dc2 on track it‘s basically the same feel as that, perfect amount of controllable lift off oversteer.

Although I bought b16 bilsteins ive not fitted them as the cars future will decide what I do with them (fit, sell or put on another track focussed car).

Highly recommend anyone to showas if your looking for lower, firmer yet nicer less crashy suspension that‘s goodnon road and track.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
DemonDriverDan said:
The Showas sound interesting. I don't really do any track work with the car, just country lanes and find it bangs around too much you lose grip as the suspension can't keep up.
If you ever decided to track the car however you can get some great laptimes on them if you know how to use the car fully mate, they are truly overlooked by many who buy cheap coilovers setups instead which imo is a bad decision, Showa are the original setup used on the likes of the nsx-r so a very high quality product

carl hammond said:
If you ever decided to track the car however you can get some great laptimes on them if you know how to use the car fully mate, they are truly overlooked by many who buy cheap coilovers setups instead which imo is a bad decision, Showa are the original setup used on the likes of the nsx-r so a very high quality product
I don't know why people buy cheap coilovers, they're just nasty. I'd much rather have a decent shock and spring setup! 2 race cars and a motorbike mean the DC5 will probably never see the track in anger, unless I go for a Ring trip in it...

Showa shocks and Spoon springs seem to be the way to go then? I just want something that I can drive around in without wincing over every bump or pothole in the road. I know it's not going to be a Rolls Royce, but it's particularly uncomfortable at the moment and I love the car

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I don't know why people buy cheap coilovers, they're just nasty. I'd much rather have a decent shock and spring setup! 2 race cars and a motorbike mean the DC5 will probably never see the track in anger, unless I go for a Ring trip in it...

Showa shocks and Spoon springs seem to be the way to go then? I just want something that I can drive around in without wincing over every bump or pothole in the road. I know it's not going to be a Rolls Royce, but it's particularly uncomfortable at the moment and I love the car
I'd say its the setup for you then, I fitted it as initially I bought the car to turn it into a show car but after having TGM repaint it I got the track buzz back. I Purchased bilstein B16 coilovers and never got around to fitting them before my first trackday in the DC5 and it was spot on with the Showa Mugen and Spoon spring setup, no aggressing geo or anything mate it just felt nice, smooth and predictable. Some go too far with setups and actually can ruin the handling ability of a car and reduce the grip but this setup imo is the perfect compromise for road comfort use but also the ability to have the car pushed hard on track.

If it was only track focussed then yeah there are other options like decent coilovers, Gaz, Nitron, Bilstein and so on but the low budget stuff imo is just cheap copies and poor quality which is why they can be sold for so cheap (that or they are built in a sweatshop of kids and elderly working literally for peanuts) and I would rather not help such companies profit margins, buy cheap buy twice and it's true.

If John has the Showa with spoon springs for £400 its a bargain, spoon springs alone cost more than that :)

ollieh17

Advanced Member
I have eibach springs and standard shocks and the ride is good and performed well on track,rides better than a S-line Audi lol

carl hammond

Advanced Member
DemonDriverDan said:
Is there anything else worth changing while the suspension is off?
Some do what‘s classed as a fast road setup (basically an aggressive geo and nothing more) but for that you‘d need adjustable camber arms and bolts but depends on your needs and requirements from the car mate. I‘ve got all that but never fitted it as felt the setup I‘m on is fine and the camber just enough for how I like the car to feel, if I go 100% only focussed then it will all go on else the setup for not is sufficient and fun.

The Showa shocks btw are shorter than oem and drop the car a little more, 40mm all round with spoon springs