Croccy's Machine Cleaned Headlights and Carbon Bonnet

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Yesterday I had the pleasure of Machine Cleaning Matt's (Croccy's) headlights and Carbon bonnet with my Meguiars G220 V2.

Matt wanted the swirls removed from his bonnet and I offered to have a go at his headlights while I was there.
So here is a little Guide/Breakdown of what I did to correct this.

Carbon Bonnet - Evaluation
Looks very clean on first appearance, but the high intensity light of the camera flash showed up lots of lights scratches and swirls.
No surface contaminants, feels like glass to the touch.

Carbon Bonnet - Remedy Steps
Bonnet has been generally well looked after, but Matt would like the swirls removed, so:

1. Machine Cut with G220 V2 along with a cutting pad + some Ultimate Compound
2. Machine Polish with a polishing pad + Step 2 Meguiars Crystal Polish
3. Machine Wax with Finishing pad + Ultimate Liquid Wax

Carbon Bonnet - Results
A massive improvement can be seen, reflections are even clearer than before meaning there was minor oxidisation which has now been removed, the swirls and scratches have been reduced by around 90% with only a few deeper scratches left. This was all done in just over an hour.

RESULT!!! :)

Next Up:

Headlights - Evaluation
Headlights are of a very yellow oxidised colour, more so around the top, they are very VERY rough to the touch and suffer from some lights scratches on the surface similar to that of how the bonnet was.

These shots were taken before any work had been done at all to either the bonnet or lights:

Headlights - Remedy Steps
Headlights are in quite a bad way, Matt would like me to have a go at these and I was looking forward to this part the most!

So, same way I did the carbon bonnet:

1. Machine Cut with G220 V2 along with a cutting pad + some Ultimate Compound
2. Machine Polish with a polishing pad + Step 2 Meguiars Crystal Polish
3. Machine Wax with Finishing pad + Ultimate Liquid Wax

I could have used my plast-rx, but I feel it does the same job as Ultimate Compound as far as cutting is concerned.
I think plast-rx has a few polishing and nourishing compounds in it, so I decided to polish and wax the lights as well to compensate.

Headlights - Results
I would say the lights have been improved by around 80-90% (Matt may say more!) Oxidisation has been extensively removed with the compound, reflectivity has increased as well as headlight clarity. They are SUPER smooth to the touch and actually feel like glass which is a huge contrast to the roughness before. All in all, a GREAT result! I really did not think they were salvageable, all this has been achieved without headlight removal from the car and has taken under an hour for both.

Side by Side Comparison Before (Left) and After (Right)
Bonnet:

Headlights:

Bonnet and headlight shot together, car is looking superb! The clean headlights make a HUGE difference!

Sure you will agree, the results speak for themselves! Matt is over the moon I believe, so after seeing the results, he bought a Meguiars G220 V2! GOOD LAD!
:xgrin: :xcheers:

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Traffic build up in Japan and heat from the sun. It happens to uk cars too. It's so ingrained in our cars for some reason.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
As above really, the UV from the sun tends not to help.

I think they come with a UV protective coating from new but that degrades over time, then they start to go yellow so you need to give them a lot of maintenance thereafter.

My passenger side used to be the worst because it used to get the most amount of sun sitting on the driveway, that was always turning more yellow than the other. Garaged now, but otherwise, plenty of wax on your headlights either way.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Really good results, i need to get a machine polisher and have a go at mine once the winter has passed.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Another nice Reflection image. This was taken after I had machine polished the rest of ther car :)

Matt.

cosmic_chi

PORTHOS, i think i need to take a trip down your way with a little cash for you to assist me in cleaning up my car soon!

ladykb

Advanced Member
PORTHOS, i think i need to take a trip down your way with a little cash for you to assist me in cleaning up my car soon!
totally agree.... Porthos you should start up your own detailing firm :xgrin: i'll be your first customer

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Ha ha! Hows it going mate? Yeah I seem to have a growing list atm!

totally agree.... Porthos you should start up your own detailing firm :xgrin: i'll be your first customer
Trouble is with me, I can rarely reach the roof of most cars! ha ha....

integraleo

Advanced Member
i would be second customer...and im sure i can sort you out with a step of some kind so you can reach the roof lol