CTR gone possibly looking at a DC5 as replacement, advice...

magicgreg

Hi,

I've been part of CTRO for many years now and have just sold my CTR today :( :(

I'm looking at a few alternatives and one of them could be a DC5, I was just wondering if anyone could answer any of the following questions:

Whats the model to go for? I'd want one pretty new 04 onwards?

I've got £25K to spend but I'm guessing I will only need around £15K of that?

Are running costs around the same as a CTR?

What about service schedule breakdowns/costs from main Honda Dealers?

What are the faults, if any to look out for?

Are parts such as pads/discs readily available, if so whats the costs on those?

With ITRs being imported can you just nip down to your local Honda dealer and pick them up?

Due to ITRs being imported I'm guessing the insurance is group 20 therefore who is the best company to go for? I'm currently with Greenlight.

I think thats a good place to start, if you can answer any of those questions it would be great

Cheers

G

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Re: CTR gone possibly looking at a DC5 as replacement, advic

I've answered as best as I can in bold.

magicgreg said:
I'm looking at a few alternatives and one of them could be a DC5, I was just wondering if anyone could answer any of the following questions:

Sure

Depends if you like the facelift or not. Some love it, some hate it. Facelift was 04 onwards iirc, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's a huge budget mate, are you sure you want to stay with FWD? For that cash you could get a 350Z, Monaro etc. Either that or spend 15k on a DC5 and get some tasty mods on it! Saying that, if I had 22k in the bank I'd buy the new JDM CTR from Lichfields or 200BHPCars.

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/

http://www.200bhpcars.com/new/

As an ex CTR owner, I've not really noticed a difference. Servicing is the same, you pay more for petrol as you need 97 RON minimum but I used that in my CTR anyway. Most parts are readily avaliable, however if you bump the car and need to replace a bumber, you could be waiting anything from 2 days to 2 months or more for a replacement. Things like pads and general consumables are held in abundance in the UK, or failing that then in Belguim with a 48 hour delay

Same as the CTR. Though take it to TGM or System R (now TDI North) for cheaper prices, a better and full Honda spec service.

Faults and fixes section perhaps? Underseal, make sure it's got good history etc.

See above. Prices are around £70 for pads and £140 for discs iirc

With ITRs being imported can you just nip down to your local Honda dealer and pick them up?

No. Buy second hand or from one of the various importers such as 200BHP Cars, Lichfields and Newera etc.

Due to ITRs being imported I'm guessing the insurance is group 20 therefore who is the best company to go for? I'm currently with Greenlight.

Have a look in the insurance section mate. A Plan, Sky Insurance, Hyperformance etc.
Welcome to the forum mate. Please have a look through as your questions have answers already on the board.

One final thing, look at this, lovely car:

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12566

dotty

Advanced Member
Re: CTR gone possibly looking at a DC5 as replacement, advic

magicgreg said:
Hi,

I've been part of CTRO for many years now and have just sold my CTR today :( :(

I think thats a good place to start, if you can answer any of those questions it would be great

Cheers

G
Hi greg

Running costs are the same as CTR's more or less, In actual fact you get more out of a tank of fuel than you do a CTRs tank, I got 350 odd miles out of a tank recently.

The Honda service schedule is the same as that of a CTR AFAIK

Regarding parts they are readily available and the man to speak to for OEM parts would be David Johnson of steels Honda (on here as David Johnson). Many a forum user have used Dave for there Honda requirements. Brakes are extremely cheap I think you can get a full set of front and rear discs and pads for under £200 through Dave.

Common faults, Well I have had mine for a year now (bought from a user on here) and I have not experienced anything tbh. Yes the car can be notchy first thing in the morning but that was the same as the CTR.

You will notice the drive is totally different to that of the CTR, The non EPS 'feature' is outstanding, The LSD can fool you in to thinking you are driving an AWD car.

There are plenty of mods to be done too should you desire, IIRC you had Kpro and that is also available for the TEG.

I know you are considering a 350Z but before you do I would consider a test drive in a DC5.

Bottom line is if you loved your CTR you will adore the DC5 more 8)

Much rarer than a z too.

I am insure through Direct line for about £600 but people in here recommend A-plan, Sky etc etc

HTH

magicgreg

I've never heard of 200bhpcars before, considering they are located in Newcastle up the road as well.

Is this where the majority of DC5 owners locate their cars from then or from the Stealers?

With regards to servicing, I'd like to get it done at TDi North but the reality is that I'm always pushed for time therefore if I couldn't make it there can a Honda dealer easily service a DC5 for around the same cash as a CTR?

Thanks for the advice about the bloke to see Dotty, I'm sure that if I do get a DC5 then I'll be using him for parts.

As for mods it seems its pretty much the same as the CTR, I see a few people have gone for different rear wing options which look pretty smart.

With induction it seems the Gruppe M is still king, I'm guessing the ITG is runner up?

As everyone seems to have gone for a 4-5" exhaust what are the best options, I know a few people have gone for a BuddyClub and thats fine but they seemed a little boomy/loud/chavy sounding IMO therefore what are the alternatives that offer a great sound on idle and at low revs and then a nice deep throaty note when higher in the power band?

Thanks again for any responses!!

G

dotty

Advanced Member
Greg,

200bhp cars are very popular on this site - It might be worth dropping Andy a pm (200bhp cars) and seeing what your options are? He sources high quality Dc5s which I am sure many on here can vouch for.

Gruppe M is still 'teh pwnerer' of the induction kits and the ITG a close second (All imo) You can take it to your dealer to get serviced yes, May I recommend De Vries of North Allerton as thats who I used to deal with when I was based oop north.

Most exhausts that are available for the EP3 are also available for the DC5. Popular choices seem to be Mugen twin loop, Fujisubos, Toda, Spoon HKS - You get the picture.

Let me know if you want to know any more info mate and I will try to help you out as and where :wink:

Wootty

Advanced Member
Look in the for sale section matey - save yourself £13k and go on holiday with the change :lol: