Cusco 1.5 way plated LSD

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi

I have recently had a fair bit of gearbox work done. The oil I used was the Torco MTF G4.

Ever since the diff has been really clunky and noisy.

Has anyone else had this with a plated diff using this oil? I have some Honda MTF3 to go in.

TGM and Simon say it's ok but it does sound really nasty! Lol

Nothing wrong with the 'box 👍

Adam

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
How come you changed the make of oil? Is that to not void the warranty on the carbon lined bits or something? will it do damage to use ordinary MTF 3? Could always try it to see If that quietens it down first.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
How come you changed the make of oil? Is that to not void the warranty on the carbon lined bits or something? will it do damage to use ordinary MTF 3? Could always try it to see If that quietens it down first.
Nothing to do with the warranty mate. Never got any as I bought the parts second hand. The oil came as a package. Although on Tegiwa's website it does say you have to use the Torco MTF with MFactory products.

I will put the Honda stuff in as I think this is the reason for the noise. You will have to have a go in it though. It's fun!!

Sam.

Cusco diff's are renowned for being quite noisy, just let's you know its working properly.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Sam. said:
Cusco diff's are renowned for being quite noisy, just let's you know its working properly.
Haha! That's what Simon said! It's never done it before though. I've had the car 7 years!

2ndy

Advanced Member
Plate diffd in general will clunk a lot, it's just how they work.. Try honda mtf with the torco friction modifier

Sam.

If it was fine before and all you have done is changed the oil, its probably that.

Sam.

Friction modifiers will cause the diff to wear out much quicker. Shouldn't really be used with plated diff's

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Andy-It's not clunking really. It's the plates moving against each other.

Sam-yeah I think it could just be the oil. Will try the Honda MTF 3 and see how it goes. It was fine before.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I took the wife out in it today and she doesn't mind it! Infact she likes the pull difference with the FD and the whine of the gears!

Will leave the oil for now. But thanks for the input guys. 👍