Cusco Diff to Standard

jo3y

When I purchased my DC5 it came with a Cusco 1.5 plated diff. As much as I love the diff when I'm on a decent country lane, the noise it makes and how the car seems to passengers when driving around town which, I'm doing more and more of these days, is making me think of trading it in for a standard diff or an alternative non plated diff (I'd actually preffer one that is slightly harsher than the standard DC5 one)

It's a long shot I know and I'm in no rush, but would anyone be interested in making the swap? I'm based in the NW.

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
I you wanted to do a straight swap i might be interested,

Where are you based ??

Cheers

gannondc5

Advanced Member
I have a 1.5 aswell and i use redline fully synthetic 80w gearbox oil it gets rid of the noise once its up to temp
you might try this before you go to the expence of removing tne gearbox

celox performance

Advanced Member
I had a year of clunking on my LSD. I changed to the Redline MTL from the Honda MTF III and it's been quiet ever since. The downside is I do get a bit more slip :?

jo3y

gannondc5 said:
I have a 1.5 aswell and i use redline fully synthetic 80w gearbox oil it gets rid of the noise once its up to temp
Yeah it's not too bad when up to temp but unfortunately I have a lot of tight junctions to pull out of before it gets up to temp so it's horrible in the mornings.

How much tamer is the standard Diff as I do like the agressiveness of the Cusco?

I'm based in Stockport Chris. As said the Diff is worth more than the standard one so it wouldn't just be a straight swap. If you can sort out the labour for the swap then we might have a deal. I'd like to get it done at Unit 8 if you're based in the NW?

jo3y

gannondc5 said:
How easy is it to swap the gearbox Oil out? I've never done it before, would I be best off taking it to a garage :oops:

celox performance

Advanced Member
With the MTL oil I don't get any clicking at all and for the cost of the oil (around £13 per litre and you only need 1.7 litres) it's well worth a go mate. You can do it yourself although a garage will have it done in less than 30 minutes

jo3y

celox performance said:
I had a year of clunking on my LSD. I changed to the Redline MTL from the Honda MTF III and it's been quiet ever since. The downside is I do get a bit more slip :?
Just spoke to Stevie at Unit 8 and it was the Honda MTF III that was used so I'll try moving to the Redline MTL cheers.

jo3y

celox performance said:
With the MTL oil I don't get any clicking at all and for the cost of the oil (around £13 per litre and you only need 1.7 litres) it's well worth a go mate. You can do it yourself although a garage will have it done in less than 30 minutes
Can anyone recommend where to get some from? I'm based in Stockport/Manchester and would preffer getting it direct from a shop rather than paying a fortune on postage.

jo3y

jo3y said:
celox performance said:
Can anyone recommend where to get some from? I'm based in Stockport/Manchester and would preffer getting it direct from a shop rather than paying a fortune on postage.
Ignore that, I've ordered them from OilMans Opieoils site using the JULYSALE discount code - £27 for 2 litres delivered :D