Custom VS Spoon Setup

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Ive been toying with the idea of swapping out my Spoon System for a full custom setup from Solid Fabrications, I've always liked the J's 70RR but not the price tag that goes with it.

Solid fab can do me a full 3" system with No Silencers and a Manifold that's is close to the gains found with the Toda Manifold, this should hopefully free up abit I power from my supercharger setup, only trouble is I've got to sell the spoon system first then have this made..

So I'm abit concerned as to weather this is the right choice as once I've sold it there's no turning back.. Would like to hear some opinions on what people would do given the choice..

Stick with Full spoon Setup or go 3" custom with No silencers lol.

bud

I had a solid Fab custom 3inch system on my Turbo'd EP3. Was well worth the money, i would say yes as your running forced induction.

Only thing is its going to be stupid loud without any silencers, i would have one silencer still

rascal69

Advanced Member
I would say custom aswell.
3inch will free up some hp. Spoon is only 2 1/4 which will be holding it back.
3inch exhaust will make more power on na car aswell compared to spoon etc
Friend had a 3 inch custom system on k20a ek9 and it made 260hp at tdi north.
Where as i made 250hp with 2.5 inch system.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I know you're not a track boy mate so definitely 3 inch with at least one silencer like the 70RR. Having none will make your ears bleed and will attract unwanted attention from the next county's police force as well as your own.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Thanks for the input guys will need to have a good think, but seems theres abit of power to be had from a 3" system.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
What sort of a cost is there to doing something like this? If you're going 3 inch I'm guessing a full system, headers and everything is your only option?

leejw87

Spoon Whore
What sort of a cost is there to doing something like this? If you're going 3 inch I'm guessing a full system, headers and everything is your only option?
Solid fabrications quoted me £950 fully fitted for the lot.. Header, downpipe, B Pipe ad Rear Section.. But this was without any silencers.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Actually just had a very interesting response to my query from TDI north when I asked them for a similar quote. They are currently in progress on their own 3 inch system with a serviceable mid section silencer. They said it will be in the region of £650 so guessing headers will be on top of that. Awaiting confirmation on what they can do in the way of headers.

I'm going to say custom :p

Seriously though, a proper manifold back 3" system is the way to go. The only downside is they can be a bit noisy and ground clearance is compromised.

I don't think you will have a problem with the noise as we discussed on the phone.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
That's the only thing putting me off is the noise. I find the spoon system a little loud so I'm guessing its going to seem noisy? Is there anything that can be done as part of the fabrication to keep noises to an acceptable level? I guess there's always going to be that compromise between noise and performance?

Yes there are certain things you can do to keep noise levels down whilst still maintaining a good flow. A longer and larger centre box helps as does a decent sized oval rear box.

kazmo

Advanced Member
thinking about this myself, how much are your 3'' systems, do you have any pics of DC5 exhausts youve done before?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
For anyone else who might be interested, keep an eye on this post today:
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17510-reelmotion-dc5-project-thread-3inch-exhaust-coming-soon/page__st__220

Been speaking to TDI north over the last couple weeks and he's already said he would do a group buy on this system if the interest is there. I'll put a post up somewhere about it over the coming weeks if there's enough interest :)

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
You know you can still have a 3" custom system without having your ears bleeding at the same time.

I've been there and done that. About 3 months of a very loud droning exhaust will drive you mad! Great fun at first, but shïte later on!
Not only that the police will have a field day, impounding your car and issuing VDR's (vehicle defect reports) left right and centre.

I'd go with the 3" system, but add a smaller baffle in the middle and a larger one at the rear bumper.

Your not gonna loose a great deal of BHP when adding straight through baffles as its charged anyway!

Peak power is not everything and besides, from what you've said about the TODA being loud, you might as well enjoy driving it than be annoyed about how stupidly loud it is!

oldpainless

Advanced Member
For anyone else who might be interested, keep an eye on this post today:
http://www.itr-dc5.c...n/page__st__220

Been speaking to TDI north over the last couple weeks and he's already said he would do a group buy on this system if the interest is there. I'll put a post up somewhere about it over the coming weeks if there's enough interest :)
Let me know when you get details mate as I need an exhaust that gives max gains but is quiet enough to get through noise emissions for track days. Just had the car remapped with K100, Tegiwa M, RBC and BC sports header and made 233hp but it's struggling a bit top end due to standard exhaust.

cheers
Ben

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I am also very much thinking of getting a custom 3"

I would get need it silenced though, as the full Toda system is just right for me with regards noise. If I was to put a resonator box in the b-pipe just before the back box would that make a huge difference?

If it would be not much louder than the Toda I would go for it. Its very hard to beat the Toda for noise compromise though.

Type K

Advanced Member
in terms of power does anyone know how much difference there would be between 2.5'' and 3''?

i was going to go down the 3'' route but im not sure if its worth that extra money if there's not much gain frm the 2.5''

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
in terms of power does anyone know how much difference there would be between 2.5'' and 3''?

i was going to go down the 3'' route but im not sure if its worth that extra money if there's not much gain frm the 2.5''
Not a great deal really unless you've got a turbo or s/charger.

2.5" will be fine for our N/A car's, for the small amount bhp you'd get it's not really worth all the £££'s