dab anygood yet?

mikegsi

Staff member
in the market for a new headunit as my evo only has a normal cd player

been thinking about getting one with dab built in, but not sure whether the reception has improved of late?

not after anything with loads of flashing lights, just something that does what i want it too, plays mp3/wma and possibly dab, sound quality is a must though, not wanting some cheap unknown brand

ideas??

been looking at the sony cdx dab6650 which looks to be a good price

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedi ... ad-Unit/p1

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Reception's never been the issue - it's digital so reception's spot on normally. The problem is in the transmission, which we can do nothing about.

DAB transmissions can be in any quality from CD or better to AM or worse, depending on how much bandwidth the broadcaster has/wishes to use. So some stations will sound great and others will be awful. And there's nothing you can do about it, that's how it's broadcast!

I think DAB's been a big con here in the UK and that's why you see not so many DAB tuners in cars. Alpine don't do one anymore and Pioneer haven't got a current DAB head unit offering yet there's plenty of analog radio head units out there. Does that tell you something?

Stateside they're all going digital but because of the sound quality con here in the UK, it hasn't picked up and won't until broadcasters can transmit high quality content for less than what they currently pay.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I had a DAB receiver in the car and never used it tbh, I didn't think the quality increase was overly good so I got rid of it.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I've just ordered a JVC KBD-101 (or something like that...), just over £150 delivered with a DAB aeriel (which you'll need of course). It plays MP3/WMA and has an aux input on the front. Only thing it doesn't have for me is Bluetooth, but I'm hoping I can get a lead from my phone to the 3.5mm aux input to provide handsfree (and my phone is also my MP3 player).

mikegsi

Staff member
bought the sony one and tbh so far have hardly used the dab, reception is quite pap, i keep loosing the stations or the quality goes from ok to garble, was hoping for better and so far the choice of channels isnt much better than 'normal' fm

must just be were i live though, reckon if i lived in a larger city the reception may be better

the headunit itself is good though, just what i was after