Damaged DC5 on Ebay going cheapish

martin200

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
At least the cams will have been well lubed :wink:
The cams are lubed by a feed from the oil pump, most of the oil will wind up in the cylinders behind the pistons.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Martin, is there not a windage tray type thing fixed to the bottom of the main caps? on the last k20 engine i saw upside down the cam cover was full of oil so assumed it went back down the oilways, didn't look at underside of the pistons as block was wrecked anyway but it makes sense for loads of oil to be ontop of the them,
I remember doing a CVH many years ago in which some of the intake and exhausts ports were really oily due to it leaking past the rings and thru the particular valves that were open. That was the only way we figured out it must have been upside down at some point. :roll:

martin200

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Martin, is there not a windage tray type thing fixed to the bottom of the main caps? on the last k20 engine i saw upside down the cam cover was full of oil so assumed it went back down the oilways, didn't look at underside of the pistons as block was wrecked anyway but it makes sense for loads of oil to be ontop of the them,
I remember doing a CVH many years ago in which some of the intake and exhausts ports were really oily due to it leaking past the rings and thru the particular valves that were open. That was the only way we figured out it must have been upside down at some point. :roll:
Yep there is that tray, theres also the timing chain area which is immersed in oil. So who knows where the oil ends up, lol! Over time, oil will seap past the rings, well it does on old engines, doubt a modern engine is any different.

That's no problem, pull the plugs out and get rid of the oil from the cylinders. One could think the presence of oil in the combustion chambers means the engine has been upside down, however anyone intending on storing an engine outside for some time will put oil down the bores anyway. Oil in the intake, via open valves and oil passing the piston rings could be a definate sign, but then oil gets in the intake of cars too.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
martin200 said:
User said:
I've always been very carefull who I take advice from and who I listen to.

Suggest everyone else does the same.
Yep, agreed. There's too many ARMCHAIR EXPERTS on this forum...

Assuming that comment was aimed in my direction :roll:

I don't know how my tuner knew it had rolled, he could tell from a little internal inspection is what I was told.

Mike

Evs

Advanced Member
carfiend said:
When rolled the water and oil would have mixed and badness would of happened.
xrofl

This is a classic along the lines of the 'gearing changes with revs' argument we had a while ago.

Some cars have a cut-off that prevents fuel flow to the engine when the car is upside down. Does anyone know whether the DC5 has one of these?

User

Advanced Member
Evs said:
carfiend said:
When rolled the water and oil would have mixed and badness would of happened.
xrofl

This is a classic along the lines of the 'gearing changes with revs' argument we had a while ago.

Some cars have a cut-off that prevents fuel flow to the engine when the car is upside down. Does anyone know whether the DC5 has one of these?
I'd be amazed if it hasn't because it's basic post accident fire prevention.

Evs

Advanced Member
User said:
Evs said:
I'd be amazed if it hasn't because it's basic post accident fire prevention.
Agreed - in which case the engine won't run for very long upside down... :idea:

carfiend

Advanced Member
Oh I am so glad I am giving you some entertainment to fuel you oh so evident egos.

As stated this was experience wtih Peugeot TU and XU engines which were designed in the late 70's with a number of revisions and reworks until recently when PSA started codeveloping engines with Toyota and BMW.

Modern engines don't have this problem? Fine, I haven't worked on anything that could be described as modern as I am an amature who has stayed away from complex VVT systems and anything other than basic fuel injection as I know I would bugger it up and break the thing.

linzi94

Advanced Member
....poor teggy.

doesnt look like theres one panel that hasnt been wrecked - made a propper job of it.

mybe it wasnt rolled and just slid under a truck ala fast n furious :p

azriDC5R

Advanced Member
this wreck would have sold a long time ago if it was here at my place, selling at a very good value for them civic conversions... plus u get to keep all the goodies from the interior... WOW

Ken A

Advanced Member
It was sold for about £2k...approx €3k.

Was it worth that much ??

I suppose for someone doin a conversion as azri said, would have been a good buy.

This guy only had this car a few weeks...brought it in himself from what i can gather. he's a friend of a girl that works with me. Quite scary to see this cause theres only one or two other blue DC5's in COrk !!

martin200

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
martin200 said:
User said:
I've always been very carefull who I take advice from and who I listen to.

Suggest everyone else does the same.
Yep, agreed. There's too many ARMCHAIR EXPERTS on this forum...

Assuming that comment was aimed in my direction :roll:

I don't know how my tuner knew it had rolled, he could tell from a little internal inspection is what I was told.

Mike
Hi,

No, I was not aiming that comment at anyone. How is your new engine by the way Mike? All up and running yet?

Martin

martin200

Advanced Member
Ken A said:
It was sold for about £2k...approx €3k.

Was it worth that much ??

I suppose for someone doin a conversion as azri said, would have been a good buy.

This guy only had this car a few weeks...brought it in himself from what i can gather. he's a friend of a girl that works with me. Quite scary to see this cause theres only one or two other blue DC5's in COrk !!
Last I heard from this guy, he was after €6000 for the car, about what you'd make if you broke it into its compound parts and sold on, so not worth the effort. Do you know it has sold for certain? eBay auction did not meet it's reserve.