Dampers? Coilovers? What suspension?

Crow555

Hey Everyone. Long time lurker here.

I have a 2002 DC5 sitting on Eibach Pro kit springs with camber arms and bolts to match. I've had this set up for a number of years now and lately, having driven on some awful roads here I feel it can be better. On perfectly smooth roads, it is fine. On anything else it just feels crashy.

From a few posts on here, I see that some mention that the original Integra R suspension isn't really suited to UK roads. I'm also aware that with my car now nearly 22 years old, it's likely the dampers are probably done (I have no idea if if the japanese owner(s) replaced them) and also contributing to the issue possibly.

Ideally I would like something fresher so that the car is suited to our roads without losing too much of what the car is.

So far my options appear to be -
1. New Dampers/shocks - OEM replacements appear to be hard to get, especially front shock absorbers. As mentioned earlier, the OEM suspension also may still be too crashy for UK roads. To my knowledge, there does appear to be a third party replacement (e.g. Ohlins, Bilstein etc)
2. Coilovers - I've always shied away from coilovers due to their reputation for being stiffer in general that traditional damper and spring suspension. I hear great words spoken about Meister R, particular the ZetaCRD sets, but again worried that will make the issue worse.
3. Bodge with EP3 suspension? - Not sure if this is a realistic option but curious if anyone has done this and what their experiences were.

Finally, I use this as a summer car on Northern Irish roads (if you've ever been here, you'll know how crap some of our roads can be) and very unlikely to track it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

carl hammond

Advanced Member

Crow555

Thanks Carl.
I did have a read of that earlier in the week, which is why I was wondering what the current options were. OEM and Mugen dampers are non-existent at this point. I liked the sound of the Bilsteins you mentioned but I wasn't able to find a DC5 or EP3 application for them so I'm guessing they are now discontinued too. The yellow speed coilovers would be wasted on me and sound too severe for what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks Carl.
I did have a read of that earlier in the week, which is why I was wondering what the current options were. OEM and Mugen dampers are non-existent at this point. I liked the sound of the Bilsteins you mentioned but I wasn't able to find a DC5 or EP3 application for them so I'm guessing they are now discontinued too. The yellow speed coilovers would be wasted on me and sound too severe for what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Both the bilstein B14 and B16's are only for EP3 but are fitted to the DC5 by means of the track rod end changes also, theya re both great setups. For a road only car then B14 would be sufficient, whereas for a car being used on both track and the road the B16 PSS9's are better and they are height and stiffness adjustable

I am sure the like of Demon Tweaks, Tegiwa or contacting Bilstein directmay be able to supply some, I am shocked if they are discontinued :-(

Alternatively a second hand set of them would be a good way to go and a way to save some cash also, else I would be looking at Ohlins etc as I would be trying to avoid cheaply manufactured ones that wont last so to speak.

Deff keep your eyes open for some Mugen Dampers or contact Baz at BHP Imports as he may be able to source you some from Japan mate where they have seen no salt etc and will be in good condition

Yellowspeed I would personally not recommend, the quality was far from good vs the likes of Bilstein and that's from me deliberatly runnign them back to back for testing, the only reason I kept them on my car at the time was for track use as Bilstein would not manufacture me any adjustable top mounts to gain more camber and caster and the alternative via nitron was proven to work temp and then break the bilstein damper completely :-(

Crow555

Thanks Carl. I'll have another look over lunch and see what I can come up with. Invaluable knowledge, thanks again.

Crow555

So the Bilstein B14 for the civic Ep3 has been discontinued for quite a while according to the online chat. Shame, they sounded like being the perfect solution too.

The mugen showa dampers appear to be also discontinued but I do have a contact in Japan who can hunt out parts so I'll reach out to him and hope he gets lucky.

I suppose the last question before I throw in the towel completely, has anyone any experience of the Bilstein B14s Vs the meisterR ZetaCRDs?

Cheers.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
So the Bilstein B14 for the civic Ep3 has been discontinued for quite a while according to the online chat. Shame, they sounded like being the perfect solution too.

The mugen showa dampers appear to be also discontinued but I do have a contact in Japan who can hunt out parts so I'll reach out to him and hope he gets lucky.

I suppose the last question before I throw in the towel completely, has anyone any experience of the Bilstein B14s Vs the meisterR ZetaCRDs?

Cheers.
That sucks reg the B14 and B16 coilovers, they really were superb, never had the meisterR ZetaCRDs myself but a few friends did and they were from memory similar quality to the YellowSpeeds mate and they kept having issues with things coming loose etc

There are always the Tein Street coilovers, cant remember 100% what they are called but something like Tein Coilover Suspension - Street Basis or Advance Z or something else deff worth trying to source some Mugen dampers then add spoon springs and the combo is superb.

For Tein it's worth searching this forum for comments and reviews as it's been a long time since I sold mine and cannot fully remember what they are like as I did drive a few cars with them

Hope you find a setup suitable mate

DE4NO

KW produce coilovers for the DC5.