DAS-6 PRO or G220 V2?

AlanS

Advanced Member
I'm looking for my first DA polisher, its either going to be the DAS-6 Pro from CYC or the Meguiar's G220 V2.

Anyone with experience on them both? They're very similarly specced apart from the G220 is lot more expensive.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
DAS-6 Pro is a fine little machine, very good value, been using mine for over a year now, no issues with it and good build quality, picked it up for £95 delivered i think. The meguaires is probably slightly better quality and i think increases torque when pressure is applied which is helpful but im not sure its worth it at twice the price. Havent had any experience with the G220 though sorry, hope that helps a bit :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I have the G220 V2, great bit of kit and as above, it adjusts the torque levels depending on the pressure you add.

Think you can get them for about £140 now online.

I know a few with the DAS-6 Pro and they are happy with that too.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I'll be honest, has a DAS Pro 6 and never liked it. Did 2 cars with it and sold it.

Dunno if it was me or what but just didn't get on with it...

AlanS

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
I'll be honest, has a DAS Pro 6 and never liked it. Did 2 cars with it and sold it.
Dunno if it was me or what but just didn't get on with it...
Any reason you didn't get on with it?
What are you using now?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Didn't give the results I expected, however I believe this to be user error rather than the machine (to an extent).

It was more the way a DA works on none flat panels, and it was just unpleasant.

Unless my DC5 has very uncharacteristic hard paint, even using a reasonably aggressive compound all I was able to remove was the very surface swirl marks, car looks great but I was expecting to be able to remove more of the deeper marks but it was just never happening.

For me I think a Rotary is more suited.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
I'm looking at possibly buying a DA and i was looking at the Kestrel aswell.

I've heard you have to be pretty careful with a rotary as they can cause a lot of damage if not properly used.

whereas the DA is a pretty tame machine.

G Man

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Didn't give the results I expected, however I believe this to be user error rather than the machine (to an extent).

It was more the way a DA works on none flat panels, and it was just unpleasant.

Unless my DC5 has very uncharacteristic hard paint, even using a reasonably aggressive compound all I was able to remove was the very surface swirl marks, car looks great but I was expecting to be able to remove more of the deeper marks but it was just never happening.

For me I think a Rotary is more suited.
I had the same problem when doing mine. I ended up using Menzerna Power Gloss, which some people whimper at or nickname liquid sand paper, but this was the level of cut needed to bring the colour back and remove the deepest of scratches.

All done with a rotary.

G Man

Advanced Member
Coldfuse said:
I'm looking at possibly buying a DA and i was looking at the Kestrel aswell.

I've heard you have to be pretty careful with a rotary as they can cause a lot of damage if not properly used.

whereas the DA is a pretty tame machine.
Being completely honest I've never used a DA, I started with rotary and was a complete novice. With a bit of common sense, being careful and taking things slowly it would be very difficult to cause damage with a rotary.

The guides on Detailing World are pretty good and worth a read.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
G Man said:
Being completely honest I've never used a DA, I started with rotary and was a complete novice. With a bit of common sense, being careful and taking things slowly it would be very difficult to cause damage with a rotary.

The guides on Detailing World are pretty good and worth a read.
Thats interesting, i would aim for a DA first personally, as i have heard some horror stories about Rotarys. Even my detailing friend won't use one. But then he is pretty good with a DA.

The other advantage of a DA is that they are usually cheaper than a rotary. Which one did you go for?

G Man

Advanced Member
Coldfuse said:
Thats interesting, i would aim for a DA first personally, as i have heard some horror stories about Rotarys. Even my detailing friend won't use one. But then he is pretty good with a DA.

The other advantage of a DA is that they are usually cheaper than a rotary. Which one did you go for?
I'd say the DA's are normally more expensive, at the lower end of the market anyway.

Kestrekl SIM180 - excellent bit of kit, I find it easy to use and it doesn't break the bank.