Dash cams

MarkyFandango

Has anyone got any advice or preferences for dash cams? There seems to be hundreds of them and just as many brands as units. A bit of a mammoth task to narrow down to a good value one. A couple that I've been looking at are these;

VIOFO A119 - Discreet and around the price at what I want to pay, capacitor over battery, and a motion sensor.
MAISI 2k Extreme - A lot bulkier than I'd like but good day and night recordings, great customer service, plenty of reviews.

MIO Mivue 538 - Includes GPS & speed camera detector. But has lithium battery and poor customer service.

I'm not particularly bothered about GPS but open as to why some might think that it's a benefit. I think I'm edging towards the VIOFO but wondered if anyone here has real life experience with some good dash cams.

Cheers

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Sorry I can't help with the ones you mentioned but because you start to look else where or for anyone else interested. I have the Drivepro200 (I believe it's called) by Transcend. Picture is really good and films in a very reasonable resolution (1080) I believe.

However the sound quality is far from fantastic. Doesn't really bother me to be fair as it's the picture quality I would be aiming for I a collision. But yeah just thought I would pass that on.

Zani

Advanced Member
Hi,

if you want something discrete, I would get a dash cam that looks like a rear view mirror, for example: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1120098/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Safety_And_Security_And_ESD_Control_And_Clean_Room-_-CCTV_And_Security_Surveillance&mkwid=syOPdrdQT_dc|pcrid|88057043883|pkw||pmt||prd|1120098&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7_zrytXR1AIVqbDtCh1-HgFmEAQYAiABEgIZWfD_BwE

If not, I would highly recommend a NextBase unit... I have been using one for the last 3 years and it is very reliable and user friendly. The build quality is top notch, even for the cheaper £69 ones.
http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-212 This is the one I have... If you want something with GPS/better infrared get the 412G @ £129: http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-412gw There are better models with more bells and whistles like wifi.

Do not get cheap crap off amazon/ebay... these will seem like they are working until you need to get the footage off the SD card and it doesn't play.. *speaking from experience*

Back on topic of NextBase, some woman hit my DC5 in December, she claimed she would pay and resolve it.... turns out her insurance were claiming I was at fault... my dash cam footage from my NextBase won me the case! Otherwise it would have gone down as a 50/50

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Zani said:
Hi,

if you want something discrete, I would get a dash cam that looks like a rear view mirror, for example: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1120098/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Safety_And_Security_And_ESD_Control_And_Clean_Room-_-CCTV_And_Security_Surveillance&mkwid=syOPdrdQT_dc|pcrid|88057043883|pkw||pmt||prd|1120098&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7_zrytXR1AIVqbDtCh1-HgFmEAQYAiABEgIZWfD_BwE

If not, I would highly recommend a NextBase unit... I have been using one for the last 3 years and it is very reliable and user friendly. The build quality is top notch, even for the cheaper £69 ones.
http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-212 This is the one I have... If you want something with GPS/better infrared get the 412G @ £129: http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-412gw There are better models with more bells and whistles like wifi.

Do not get cheap crap off amazon/ebay... these will seem like they are working until you need to get the footage off the SD card and it doesn't play.. *speaking from experience*

Back on topic of NextBase, some woman hit my DC5 in December, she claimed she would pay and resolve it.... turns out her insurance were claiming I was at fault... my dash cam footage from my NextBase won me the case! Otherwise it would have gone down as a 50/50
The Amazon one I bought works perfectly, I can plug the camera direct in my PC without having to mess with SD card readers.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Zani

Advanced Member
hollowaydc5 said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y2F7R4V/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apap_tdkWEMnLcRRBb

I bought this, I don't really use it as a Dashcam, I use it for the parking motion sensing function. If anyone were to bump or do anything to my car it auto turns on and starts recording. The playback I've watched from driving it spot on, it's clear and works spot on. Can't fault it.

Hi, I would check the footage every now and then... mine was working faultlessly for 6 months then footage wouldn't playback correctly

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Zani said:
Hi, I would check the footage every now and then... mine was working faultlessly for 6 months then footage wouldn't playback correctly

I've had it around 3, I'll keep checking, thanks :)

p1tse

Advanced Member
On the original thread and first one, still looks big

Do these generally come with a LCD, I assume if you want discreet you'll need one without LCD and Bluetooth to phone to view if required and possible?

Where do you place them, do they not become a targetable theft item?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
On the original thread and first one, still looks big

Do these generally come with a LCD, I assume if you want discreet you'll need one without LCD and Bluetooth to phone to view if required and possible?

Where do you place them, do they not become a targetable theft item?
They unclip like a Sat nav. So the idea is to take it out after use every time. You'd be a fool to leave it in there IMO.(Not aimed at you mate, I know that's not what you were saying)

p1tse

Advanced Member
But for those who use it as a motion sensor capture?

Sounds like a flaff to remove each time though

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:

Mine's tiny, it's webcam size and when I leave the car I take the cable out so itll run on the battery. In my opinion it's actually a deterrent and makes me feel better about leaving the car out when I'm at my girlfriends.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:

Without sounding like an arsehole, Not trying to. You go through an insurance claim process that took 12 months on a previous car of mine and then say it's a fat to spend 10 seconds extra day to take out...

It's a no brainer.

Zani

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Without sounding like an arsehole, Not trying to. You go through an insurance claim process that took 12 months on a previous car of mine and then say it's a fat to spend 10 seconds extra day to take out...

It's a no brainer.
The current next Base models have a quick release so there are no cables to disconnect... so even less then 10 seconds haha

SamDC5

Advanced Member
In my opinion it's worth the extra 10 seconds of faff for my journey as I let the car warm up for a minute before setting off. In modern day driving it's a good idea just to protect yourself.

I hate leaving my car anywhere and having mine set up for motion capturing makes me feels loads better. It's also funny watching the play back and hearing Vtec 😀