Dash cluster faults

Breeze

I have finally bought a DC5.

CW 2002, 20000kms on it.

After driving 400kms back from the place of purchase a number of problems have surfaced

Dash cluster- Brake warning light on permanently. Intermittant at first. When the brake light is on the temp gauge doesn't work and the open door lights in the dash doesn't work. The A/C is occasionally not working also. I think this is a loose earth or disconnected earth (every thing works till you hit the starter, the increase in current then stops everything else. Anyone know where all the earths are?

Road noise (it sounds like the wheel bearings are eating themselves out). I know these cars are supposed to be loud but I hear no engine noise, no wind noise just road noise. Brand new Dunlop Direzza tyres. I will pull off the rear wheel bearings and check for any sign of damage.

Other than that I love it. Immaculate!

Cheers,

Charles

Duncs

the first time my mate drove mine (been in car trade for 20 years) he thought i had a wheel bearing gone, but it was just road noise from the tyres, better now on goodyears,
as for dash snags start with the connections,

Breeze

Well it is not wheel bearings. Spent the afternoon swapping bits and pieces then jacked up my K24 Accord tourer and compared the noises underneath when spinning the wheels. The accord is silent, the DC5 grinds from the jackshaft(halfshaft) bearing and from the diff itself. If I had any gearbox oil I would drop the oil to see if it is nice and glittery.

Put the Dunlop Direzzas of the ITR on the accord and they were quieter than the Goodyear Ducaros fitted.

I ran the ITR on stands with the wheels off the ground and the diff clunks and bangs and the drivetrain grinds while the wheels are in the air.

So I have found the problem. Fortunately the importer has a low km wreck on site and will swap out the bits. Starting with the entire RHS shaft. How much of a job is the box. Looks like it can be dropped without the entire drivetrain coming out.

As for the bloody dash I have swapped it with another cluster - no different.

I have gone over all the earths (under the cluster, two on the LHS of the footwell, one under the gearshift, one under the drivers seat). Nothing has helped.

Everything works when the engine is not running. 5 seconds after the engine is switched on the seatbelt warning light, door ajar light, temp gauge stop working and the park brake light comes on. Everything else in the car is fine.

Duncs

it still sounds like an earth problem, what about the main underbonnet earths, specially engine/gearbox,

as for removal of box, never done it, but the same as most, break the hubs pull driveshafts etc, etc, just watch the Abs stuff though
where are you?

Breeze

Yeah, i think it is an earth issue as well. I have checked the earth strap on the front of the motor and the ground for the battery, though I am sure these would have caused other issues (like the head lights etc). This problem is just limited to the dash only.

I am in NZ.

Breeze

Sorted! It was the ECU with one fried chip.

Replaced the RHS Front wheel bearing and got rid of most of the road noise. Making less difference was Machining the rotors and replacing the pads.

There is still some whine from the gearbox, is that normal, most noticable on overrun at low gear speeds? Very loud in reverse.

The guy is still offering me a replacement gearbox if I want it but I don't want to go to the hassle of replacing if I don't need to. Car only has 20,000kms.