"Dash Dodger" Roll Cages

TyperItr

Advanced Member
So I have always been interested in getting a cage for the car. Mainly the Cusco cage. There are 2 types, the through dash and the "dash dodger" the one that comes down along the outside of the dash.
I have been googling cages and find sites like Honda -Tec and other owners sites there is a lot of discussion about these style cages.
There are 2 main sticking points. The "s" bend in the cage that goes around the dash and the fact it is bolted together (weak points)
After I read a few posts and "opinions" I was starting to think is there any truth to these opinions? I can see how these would be called a weak point but in reality how weak are they?
Has anybody ever come across any tests of these cages? that prove there strength / weakness? I would be interested to find this out.

I did notice on the new Honda Civic Type R Nuremberg track record video. If you look in the front right you see they are using a dash dodging cage. Surely if Honda use it for a factory track record attempt they cant be that weak?

Rob R

Advanced Member
As it doesn't come with one as standard I can't see it being weak. Some of the most vital safety parts of the car are bolted in, seat belts, seats, wheels so I'd have no issue with a bolt in cage.

I also think that a good old fashioned tightened bolt would be more structurally sound than a quick weld, especially if not done to a high standard. I'm sure others will have opinions on this though

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
As far as bolts, as long as they're high tensile strength bolts (fke or unbreako) they ain't breaking... So I wouldn't worry about the bolt being the weak part,

As far as constructual strength within the cage, I really can't comment as I'm not sure.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Most bolt in cages also require plates being welded into reinforce the floor plan.

For track days and road use a bolt in would be fine. For serious competition id want a full weld in

Dan34

Advanced Member
I've been very tempted by a 7 point cusco dash dodger. The only thing that has stopped me buying one at the moment is the fact they dont have a harness bar!

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
I've been very tempted by a 7 point cusco dash dodger. The only thing that has stopped me buying one at the moment is the fact they dont have a harness bar!
Likewise, one of the main reasons I'd want a cage is for proper harness mounting, and I'd be very reluctant to start welding bars into something like a Cusco cage.

Budders_DC5

Advanced Member
Iv just put the cusco cage in mine and i no what u mean about the harness bar! Very annoying!! For temporary i have just clipped the harnesses into loop bolts into the original seatbelt mountings. In time i will be welding bars onto the cage though and doorbars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaza4

Advanced Member
could never understand why people want cages in road goin cars...if you want chassis reinforcement, theres plenty of bars and braces that will do that. and in the case of the car flipping over, whats gonna protect your head against a steel bar??? IMO unless your well strapped in with a 5 point harness and wearing a helmet they are not worth having.

Rom

Advanced Member
If you start welding it. You will lose any type approval it had. Though not sure Cusco have any EU approval anyway?

Adding to an existing cage is fine, and quite simple really.
I had a Sparco 6 pt, that I added cross door bars, cross rear bars, bars from b to c pillars, bar across rear struts, and bar across bottom of b struts.
But I'm a good welder, and fishmouthed the bars etc. It's quite common for cages to be fabricated from scratch to suit a car.
As long as you don't want any bends, it's simple. Otherwise you would need a mandrel and stuff.

As for needing them on the road. It's much a personal thing. Like you don't need coilovers etc. But people want them.
I know a lot of us track them, so it becomes more logical. Where you are wearing a helmet.
But unless a bar bends, or the seat comes loose, you shouldn't be anywhere near headbutting a bar.

gaza4

Advanced Member
Rom said:
But unless a bar bends, or the seat comes loose, you shouldn't be anywhere near headbutting a bar.
have you ever been in a car that rolled with a regular seatbelt??? your head WILL hit the roof!!!

-Birdy-

Advanced Member
Most people with roll cages run them with Harnesses, not oem seat belts, therefore IF you rolled the car then your head should be well away from hitting the cage.

Rom

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
have you ever been in a car that rolled with a regular seatbelt??? your head WILL hit the roof!!!
I haven't no. But I meant with a harness. Maybe I shouldn't assume people will run harness with a cage.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
That's a big assumption about hitting the roof.. Can't say my head came anywhere near the roof when I had my accident and that wasn't a small roll =/ I never had a cage but after it happened it makes me want one! That said I was amazed at how well the DC5 took the accident.