Dashboard rattle, metallic, 3-4krpm

adam.

Advanced Member
Anyone got any quick pointers as to what this could be?

Sounds like it's from within the dash, not the engine bay/heatsheild.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I have the same one. Mine is driver side wiper arm and goes when wipers are moving!

Sounds like it's in the car though!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

adam.

Advanced Member
Will give this a go!

Thanks John.

Everyone else, don't be shy on suggestions!

spooke

Advanced Member
Is this on off power? I have a noise which is mean't to be the clutch springs rattling, get's very loud inside sometimes!

Rom

Advanced Member
Id vote OS driveshaft heatsheild. Worth checking. Noises easily transmit / migrate throughout the chassis and parts.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Is this on off power? I have a noise which is mean't to be the clutch springs rattling, get's very loud inside sometimes!
My car has an annoying rattle\buzz, that sounds metalic and i have hunted high and low.

It does it mostly just as you apply pressure to clutch pedal and change gear, so i wonder if its somethign like clutch springs buzzing about.

Its annoying but not splitting casings annoying...yet.

Or its a baffle in the exhaust and its buzzing from a snapped weld?

I also get an odd intermittent rattle in the dash area, sounds metal on metal too, only does it now and then.

amazingly infuriating that i cant find it

spooke

Advanced Member
Further to my previous post, had the Clutch changed (3 piece kit OEM) and the noise went, well 99% of it (can hear the same sound but it's VERY quiet).

Bewesy

Advanced Member
The accelerator pedal pivot holes can wear slightly oval causing the pedal to be able to vibrate slightly which makes a metallic noise..

I've heard this first hand; it makes a very high pitched buzzy kind of rattle but only at certain (usually fairly high) revs just as you remove the pressure off the accelerator when you're changing gear.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
I've also got one, sounds like a metal washer rattling on a loose bolt is the best way I can describe it! Sounds like it's coming from the NSF, but can't find it anywhere.
It only became apparent since fitting my solid engine mounts, God knows what it is!

spooke

Advanced Member
Rage_DC5 said:
I've also got one, sounds like a metal washer rattling on a loose bolt is the best way I can describe it! Sounds like it's coming from the NSF, but can't find it anywhere.
It only became apparent since fitting my solid engine mounts, God knows what it is!
Have you checked the driveshaft heatshield?

adam.

Advanced Member
So my car's at Dream Automotive right now, by all accounts the inlet manifold cover can rattle.

He's spaced it out, we'll see how that works!

spooke

Advanced Member
Rage I think that's the only one.

As Adam said check the inlet cover too, Phil at Dream Automotive spaced mine too although it didn't cure the sound you could clearly see it had been rubbing.